During sleep, some people experience a complete or partial cessation of breathing. This pathology is called obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. You can learn more about it on the website https://uni-medica.ru/info/blog/apnoe-v-praktike-vracha-pulmonologa/ right now, spending just a couple of minutes. A characteristic feature of this disease is the temporary collapse of soft tissues concentrated in the upper respiratory tract. Often this leads to the fact that there is a complete blockage of the airways for a while. Because of this disease, a person stops breathing for a while.
The main types of disease
Somnologists classify sleep apnea according to severity. The species is determined based on how many breath stops occur during the night. Depending on which index of respiratory disorders (IDR), apnea syndrome is divided into several types:
- Norm. The number of breath stops during the night does not exceed 5 times.
- Light. The number of IDRs is from 5 to 14.
- Average. The number of IDRs is from 15 to 29.
- Heavy. The number of IDRs exceeds 30 times.
To select an effective treatment method, the somnologist initially evaluates the IDR. Based on the result, surgical or conservative treatment methods can be used.
The main symptoms of sleep apnea syndrome
The main symptom that is common to most patients is snoring. In some cases, the snoring is quite strong and the person wakes up. Some additional symptoms include:
- During the night, a person wakes up a certain number of times. Patients are not always aware of this directly. But relatives can see it.
- During the day, the person is sleepy. Some people fall asleep while doing certain work or while driving.
- The person is overweight. This is due to the fact that a person’s sleep rhythm is disturbed. This leads to the fact that the synthesis of the hormone is disturbed.
- With sleep apnea, blood pressure often rises.
If you do not visit a doctor in a timely manner, do not undergo a course of treatment, this can cause a rapid decline in working capacity. Gradually, a person’s mental and emotional state changes. Some men who have sleep apnea may gradually develop erectile dysfunction. Not only the anatomical features of the respiratory tract, but also the curvature of the nasal septum, as well as the enlargement of the tonsils, can provoke the occurrence of apnea syndrome.