Tells doctor of the highest category, urologist of the network of centers for reproduction and genetics Nova Clinic Vladlen Petrishchev:
- Every second woman suffers acute infectious inflammation of the bladder at least once in her life. And many, alas, get sick with it regularly, usually in the autumn-winter period. Largely because of this, it is believed that cystitis is associated with a cold snap. In fact, weather and bladder inflammation usually have nothing to do with it - other than the fact that cold weather weakens the immune system, leading to more inflammation in the body. However, more compelling reasons are usually needed for cystitis to occur.
What does sex have to do with it?
Cystitis is most often provoked by diseases of the female reproductive sphere - colpitis (inflammation of the vagina), bacterial vaginosis (violation of the vaginal microflora), sexually transmitted diseases. This is due to the fact that bacteria in the urethra in women more often enter from the vagina. By the way, for the same reason, inflammation of the bladder in women is most often recorded at the age of high sexual activity - 20-35 years.
Often, cystitis pesters patients with diabetes mellitus - the concomitant suppression of immunity leads to the spread of bacteria.
There are usually no problems with the diagnosis of cystitis. Even if a person does not know his symptoms (pains and cramps when urinating, cloudy, sometimes bloody urine), he usually immediately understands which organ is supplying such problems.
But with the treatment of cystitis, everything is not so simple.
Can we handle it ourselves?
Many women try to deal with it with home remedies - heating pads, herbal decoctions, cranberry juice, etc. And it really helps to curb the disease. Painful symptoms go away, health is normalized. But since the main cause of the disease is bacteria (in 80% of cases it is Escherichia coli or E-coli), against which home remedies are powerless, the inflammation does not disappear, and cystitis after some time again manifests itself “in full growth”.
In most cases, it is impossible to cure cystitis without antibiotics. And you will have to take the full course. If you stop taking it immediately after the symptoms disappear, the disease will become resistant to treatment and it will be more difficult to get rid of it.
An exception is the so-called "cystitis of newlyweds", which provokes mechanical stress (friction) and neglect of hygiene rules. In some cases, it can be cured by sexual rest, no matter how difficult it is to observe it during the honeymoon.
The second exception is cystitis during pregnancy. The growing uterus compresses the ureters, preventing the outflow of urine, which can cause not only inflammation of the bladder, but also its formidable complication - pyelonephritis,
for the prevention of which women after 26 weeks of pregnancy are advised to sleep not on their backs, but on their sides, in the so-called knee-elbow position, which improves the outflow of urine.
Can cystitis be prevented?
Yes, but for this you need to follow some simple rules:
- Drink more - 1.5-2 liters of liquid per day (mineral water, green tea) - this way you can reduce the concentration of urine. Otherwise, it will irritate the inflamed bladder even more.
- Do not overfill the bladder and do not tolerate want - the optimal interval between trips to the toilet is 2-3 hours. Stagnant urine is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
- Observe intimate hygiene - wash yourself, if possible, use a bidet and sanitary napkins
- Having one partner - if they change often, it is extremely difficult to avoid sexually transmitted diseases that provoke cystitis.
- If cystitis does arise, strictly follow all medical recommendations. Untreated cystitis will definitely lead to a relapse.
There are contraindications, it is necessary to consult a doctor.