On the morning of January 7, during special operations in Almaty and other cities of Kazakhstan, law enforcement officers detained more than 3 thousand people. 26 participants in the riots were liquidated, about two dozen more people were injured.
“The General Prosecutor’s Office of the Republic of Kazakhstan opened criminal cases on the facts of organizing and participating in mass riots. A pre-trial investigation has also begun on the commission of an act of terrorism, ”local media report, referring to the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
On these corpus delicti, the detainees face long terms of imprisonment – from eight years to life imprisonment. The death penalty in Kazakhstan was abolished in the first days of this year. Previously, there was a moratorium.
Law enforcement officers also have losses. The previously announced data of the Ministry of Internal Affairs that 18 security officials were killed during the riots was confirmed. Another 748 police and National Guard officers were injured. Several security officials have their heads cut off, suggesting ISIS followers. *
According to some reports, the Russian head of the Academy of the Border Guard Service of Kazakhstan became a victim of the riots. Pavel Polivanov… During the night assault on the building of the educational institution by radicals, he organized a defense with the help of cadets. The attack was repulsed, and the commander was seriously wounded.
On the part of the terrorists, professional snipers armed with special weapons worked, said the first deputy head of the presidential administration of Kazakhstan. Dauren Abaev… Own communication facilities ensured a high degree of coordination among the participants.
The media publish footage of rioters disassembling rifles brought to them in the trunk of a car. Also, weapons fell into their hands as a result of the seizure of the weapons room of the Almaty KNB, the robbery of weapons stores, and seizure from law enforcement officers and the military.
In a statement on January 7 Kassym-Jomart Tokayev promised that Kazakhstan would complete the operation against the militants. There will be no negotiations, and whoever does not surrender will be destroyed. The state slept through the terrorist attack, the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan complained. Up to 20 thousand bandits attacked Almaty alone.
He also expressed condolences to the relatives of those killed in the riots. All demands expressed in a peaceful manner were heard, Tokayev noted. “There is a lot of work ahead to learn the lessons of the tragedy we have experienced. Including from a socio-economic point of view, ”he said.
In addition, Tokayev promised a debriefing on January 11th. First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbaev was not mentioned in his speech. The President of Kazakhstan thanked Vladimir Putin and other leaders for their prompt response to the request for help by the CSTO forces.
At present, the air group of more than 70 Il-76 and 5 An-124 aircraft, created by the RF Ministry of Defense, is sending the Russian contingent to Kazakhstan around the clock. It is headed by the commander of the Russian Airborne Forces, Colonel-General Andrey Serdyukov…
The Russian base of the CSTO contingent will be supplemented by units from Belarus, Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. “The CSTO soldiers do not participate in hostilities … The CSTO peacekeepers will perform cover and security functions,” the Kazakh presidential administration explained.
Our military assistance to the ROK is already being challenged in the West. Thus, NYT accused Russian peacekeepers of murders in Kazakhstan. Former US Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul proposes to discuss the legality of Moscow’s actions in the UN Security Council. And the EU demands the immediate release of the detainees.
Inside Russia, our army is traditionally criticized by the “fifth column”. A certain “Congress of Intelligentsia” launched a campaign to collect signatures under a statement condemning the participation of the Russian military in the operation in Kazakhstan, calling Moscow’s policy “imperialist.”
The text is being dispersed across the web while cries that Russia, which was once called the “gendarme of Europe”, has now become the “gendarme of Asia.” However, many Russians see this as a long-awaited process of restoring Moscow’s direct influence on the territories adjacent to our borders and protecting compatriots.
In the opinion Head of the Department of Middle Asia and Kazakhstan of the Institute of CIS Countries, Chief Researcher of the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences Andrei Grozin, the riots will be stopped shortly.
– When the main forces [ОДКБ] will land, the mass protest will come to naught by itself. There will remain work for the investigating authorities, the forces of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, which will point to point in order. In principle, the protest is already fizzling out. Today or tomorrow we will still receive more or less “interesting” news from Kazakhstan, but then everything will gradually return to normal.
“SP”: – There is no complete clarity about the reasons for what happened. Assumptions are made about a political background, outside influence …
– Undoubtedly, there are internal political reasons for what happened. With all the participation of external sponsors, which they are now talking about for good reason (fugitive banker Mukhtar Ablyazov confirmed this – author), the external factor still plays a secondary role. I believe that we are witnessing intra-elite clashes, which are traditional for Kazakhstan.
Since the time of the late Soviet Union, they have been implemented through imitation of public discontent, mass riots
“SP”: – Now it is called “color revolutions” …
– The substantive part of those old “Soviet” protests and the latest events in Kazakhstan, I think, also coincide. Then the clan elite groups fought for the first place after the elimination of the long-term monopoly of power. Dinmukhamed Kunaeva… And now the post-Nazarbayev world is being built in this way. Naturally, we are talking about the elites. For the population, it all looks different.
“SP”: – How can these events affect the fate of our Russian compatriots, who constitute an ethnic minority in Kazakhstan?
– Now the leadership of Kazakhstan must realize that the flirting with the “Natsiks” that has been observed there in the last one and a half to two years is a road to nowhere. Moreover, personally for the authorities. And therefore, the nationalists will again be “driven under the box”, and the most active will be allowed to flee abroad – to the same Ukraine or the Baltic states.
After that, the heat of anti-Russian sentiment will be brought down. The main sponsors of the national patriots in power may be deprived of this power. And this in itself will create a healthier atmosphere so that Russians and other non-titular nationalities who identify with the Russian world feel calmer and more comfortable. That there were no “language patrols” and other nonsense.
* “Islamic State” (IS, ISIS) by the decision of the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation of December 29, 2014 was recognized as a terrorist organization, its activities on the territory of Russia.