So, it happened: now you can get to the peninsula not only from the east, through the Crimean bridge, but also by the northern route – from Ukraine. The railway lines connecting the Crimea through the Perekop isthmus have been restored. Passenger and cargo communications are being developed with the liberated regions of Kherson, Zaporozhye regions and the Donetsk People’s Republic. Crimea found itself in the ring of friendship and strength.
“The transport blockade of Crimea, arranged by Ukrainian nationalists eight years ago, is a thing of the past,” said the adviser to the head of Crimea on information policy Oleg Kryuchkov. “Today, the process of restoring cargo and passenger traffic has begun. Private business does not tolerate emptiness. When people need to go and there is a request for it, connections are immediately established, ”RIA Novosti reports him as saying.
Political scientist Andrei Marchukov considers that rail and road communication between Crimea and Tavria is essential:
“Let’s remember that the railway lines operated until recently, but due to the aggressive and short-sighted policy of the Ukrainian authorities, they were blocked. To restore it means to restore normal life.
This is necessary primarily for economic ties between these territories. On the one hand, this is the supply of goods from the Crimea, which are now urgently needed by the residents of the Kherson, Zaporozhye regions, and possibly in the future the Nikolaev and Odessa regions. It also needs a railway connection from the Crimea with Mariupol, for the supply of food products, consumer goods, as well as industrial products that are produced in these regions.
Accordingly, return supplies from the Black Sea regions to the Crimea and further to the rest of Russia are necessary. In this case, I do not touch on military supplies, the transfer of equipment, weapons and personnel by rail. This is necessary for the full-fledged economic life of both Crimea and the liberated territories. And when the special operation in Ukraine stops, a direct railway line through the Donbass to the territory of the Russian Federation will start working.
“SP”: – Yes, making a big detour across the Crimean bridge is not very convenient.
– Once upon a time, Crimea and the surrounding regions were one Taurida province. Vital communications were cut relatively recently, now they are being restored. It will be good for everyone.
This event clearly shows that the historical regions, which were formed many centuries ago, do not disappear anywhere, but inevitably begin to appear under temporary, momentary, layers introduced from outside. The mainland was once the territory of the Crimean Khanate, then the Taurida province. It is no coincidence that the territories of the mainland and the peninsula are connected into one political and economic whole. With all the obviousness today there is a need to restore just such a configuration of the region.
“SP”: – By the way, about the Crimean Khanate. Recently, a resident of Crimea, the head of the regional national-cultural autonomy of the Crimean Tatars, Eyvaz Umerov, proposed to nationalize the assets of the organizers of the blockade, which are located on the territory of Russia. In his opinion, the question of ownership of the property of the organizers of the water, transport, food and energy blockade of Crimea should be considered. These are mostly former Crimeans, who in Ukrainian times had a business here and a lot of assets acquired, including by criminal means. He called for the nationalization of their property, as well as the property of organizations associated with them.
– Well, this measure is absolutely correct, as well as in general – if you look more broadly – the nationalization of property belonging to Ukrainian oligarchs, who actively sponsored the so-called “ATO”. Their property, as well as the property of all kinds of Ukrainian clowns and jesters, certainly needs to be nationalized in the shortest possible time. It is strange that this has not yet been done, because deductions go, among other things, to the war of the West against Russia. Why it has not yet been nationalized is a huge political question…
In the liberated regions, urban and intercity public transport has been fully operational, which is an indicator of life in a “peaceful way”. On the peninsula, there is a complete restoration of passenger and cargo communications with the liberated Ukrainian regions.
Attempts at a transport blockade of Crimea, unsuccessfully staged by nationalists of all stripes eight years ago, are becoming a thing of the past, being forced out by the process of restoring freight and passenger traffic.
Sergei Ponomarev, editor of the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper wonders:
– And what kind of traffic blockade? In fact, she didn’t exist. When at the very beginning there were no trains, planes flew, cars were transported across the Kerch Strait on ferries, including additional ones. But this is already an old story. On October 1, 2018, the Krymsky Bridge opened, and a year later, regular passenger train traffic was launched on it – already two and a half years ago.
As for the northern railway and automobile route, after leaving the Crimea through the isthmus, you will run into Kherson. There is no further way. You can go in the direction of Berdyansk, but there is still no full-fledged passenger service there.
As for train trips to Russia and back along the Crimean Bridge, this is now an absolutely normal, regular passenger service. Too bad there aren’t many trains. But I think that Russian Railways will go to the Crimea and add trains for the summer. Trains will run to the Crimea from St. Petersburg, from Moscow, from Omsk, from Perm, from Chelyabinsk, Kislovodsk and Sochi. Moreover, they go not only to Simferopol, but also to Sevastopol, Evpatoria and Feodosia – no problems at all. Only recently, due to the May holidays, there were no direct tickets. But this is not a question of the Ukrainian blockade, but of a shortage of trains.
“SP”: – Those who used to fly to the Crimea by plane, now travel by train?
Airports are closed due to a special operation. The airports in Simferopol, Anapa, as well as in Rostov-on-Don, do not accept civilian aircraft; only eleven airports in Krasnodar are closed due to security reasons.
“SP”: – Probably, it will be beneficial for local businesses to restore artificially severed ties with suppliers from Kherson and Zaporozhye regions?
– So far, only Kherson farmers have begun to come to Simferopol and sell their vegetables. But this is more like a political gesture. The main thing, of course, is different, that the water went through the Crimean Canal. This means that this year, eight years later, empty areas of agricultural land in the Northern Crimea will be sown. Rice will return to the fields as the main crop. So basically the water blockade has been broken, but the transport blockade has never been, and still isn’t…
Member of the Council for Interethnic Relations under the President of the Russian Federation Bogdan Bezpalko recalls that Crimea is important both from a military and economic point of view:
– The peninsula has always been an unsinkable Russian aircraft carrier on the Black Sea. The base of the Black Sea Navy, a missile base, and an airfield for naval aviation were located and are located here. Radar stations made it possible to control not only the Black Sea area, but also half of the Mediterranean.
And of course, the opening of communications with the Kherson region through the isthmus is of great economic importance. Now all goods that are produced in Kherson and other regions will go to Crimea without delay. Previously, Ukrainian producers suffered greatly due to the introduction of a commodity blockade, as well as monetary, energy and other blockades. And now they can deliver their goods to the Crimea. As well as from the Crimea, goods can be transported to the north, to the northeast, to Donetsk and further to Russia through the liberated territories. We will travel not only across the beautiful Crimean Bridge, but also through the territories of the free Donbass…