In the midst of festive fun, it is difficult to deny yourself an extra spoonful of Olivier salad or a glass of wine. And if the next morning after the holiday you felt an unpleasant heaviness, a thick and fragrant pickle will come to the rescue.
Meat or fish soup cooked in cucumber brine has been known in Russia since the 15th – 16th centuries. True, in those days, not only soup was called pickle, but also a pie filled with giblets, meat or fish with pickles.
We will tell you about the intricacies of cooking real pickle – one of the most colorful dishes of Russian cuisine, which always pleases us in cold weather, warming and causing a healthy appetite.
Meat and groats
A distinctive feature of pickle, according to the culinary dictionary of William Pokhlebkin, is the use of giblets instead of meat. But today there are other cooking options.
For example, a recipe for Leningrad rassolnik from Soviet cookbooks includes beef. Pickle is also prepared with poultry, chicken offal, kidneys, beef heart, catfish, pike perch, fresh and dried mushrooms.
Therefore, grits for pickle should be combined with meat products. Pearl barley will go to pickle with kidneys and beef, rice is used with chicken and turkey offal, barley is ideal for duck and goose offal, buckwheat and rice – for vegetarian pickle.
When preparing pickle from pearl barley, it is worth boiling it separately and adding it to the broth, otherwise the soup may acquire a bluish tint.
Cucumbers and pickle
The real highlight of the pickle is the mandatory use of pickles and pickle. In this case, the brine should make up a quarter of the entire liquid, it should be boiled and filtered beforehand.
Cucumbers should be pickled, not pickled. It is advisable to peel them, peel the seeds and cut them into small cubes. If you are cooking pickle with potatoes, put pickles at the very end, otherwise the potatoes will become tough.
Mandatory ingredients, in addition to meat, cucumbers and cereals, are potatoes, carrots, onions. Some housewives add mushrooms, olives, parsley root, vinegar, tomato paste to the pickle.
Secrets of taste
Traditionally, sour cream is served with the pickle – it softens the salty taste of the soup, making it pleasant and tender. Sometimes parsley root is added to add a spicy flavor to the dish.
Experienced housewives advise not to salt the pickle, but to regulate its taste with brine or pickled cucumbers.
Like borscht, delicious pickle must be infused. Let the finished soup “rest” under the lid for 20 minutes, so that its taste becomes rich and rich.
Pickle at home
- 1.5 l of meat broth
- 180 ml cucumber pickle
- 4 pickled cucumbers
- 0.5 cups pearl barley
- 3 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsley root
- 100 g cabbage
- 1 onion
- 0.5 small bunch of dill
- 2 bay leaves
- black pepper and sour cream to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse the pearl barley, cook until half cooked, drain the broth, and rinse the cereal again to remove mucus.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes. Cut the onion, carrot, parsley root and fresh cabbage into strips.
- By the way, the preparation for the pickle can be prepared in advance. In winter or on weekdays, when there is no time to cook dinner, pickle in a bank literally saves you. Conveniently! I boiled the broth, turned the jar over – it’s done!
- Fry the onions and carrots until soft in vegetable oil.
- Peel the pickles, cut into slices and pour over with boiling water.
- Strain the broth and put it on the fire, and when it boils, put the cabbage in it. Wait until it boils again, add potatoes and parsley root.
- After 5 minutes, add browned onions and carrots, prepared pearl barley. Cook until cooked.
- 5-10 minutes before cooking, put chopped greens, peppercorns and bay leaves in the pickle.
- When the pickle is ready, pour boiled cucumber pickle into it.
- When serving, add sour cream to the plate.
- Pickle with pearl barley and cucumbers is ready. Bon Appetit!