Squares of large cities are places where tourists and locals come every day. Their location is always determined by certain factors: historical events, significant cultural events, proximity to beautiful city buildings, etc. In the capital of Russia, the number of squares can amaze even a sophisticated tourist.To visit all of them, you need to devote a couple of weeks to excursions. But the largest and most famous traditionally attract close attention: they hold city holidays, these open spaces allow you to feel the atmosphere of the city and appreciate the architectural concept.
It is not enough to visit these places. To feel the spirit that reigns here, you need to know who was involved in the design and what idea was put into the basis of the project. The appearance of such territories is influenced by what they are framed with: buildings, parks or other green spaces. This can make them pretentious, majestic or modern with a pronounced touch of avant-garde.
The center not only of Moscow, but of the whole of Russia – Red Square has long been the heart of “one-fifth of the land” or the USSR. For many people, getting here was a cherished childhood dream. The best students from all over the Soviet Union were rewarded with trips to the main Christmas tree of the country, held in the Kremlin.
Now this place is also the ultimate dream of many people, but now it is more likely a sign of success and luxury housing located in the center of the capital. The territory is fenced with iconic structures: the Kremlin, the State Historical Museum, GUM and St. Basil’s Cathedral. It is here that for many centuries the most significant historical events took place, influencing the course of history both in Russia and throughout the world.
The history of Red Square starts in the second half of the 15th century. Ivan III decided to equip a large trading platform for the townspeople, which will be convenient for not only residents of the city to reach, but also guests of Moscow. To do this, several wooden buildings had to be demolished near the Kremlin, which were unsafe due to the risk of fires. Because of its purpose, the site at first was called Torgovaya, but after a few decades it was renamed Trinity because of the close location of the Trinity Church.
The name by which the square is known to contemporaries appeared in 1661 by the decree of Alexei Mikhailovich. Thus, he wanted to emphasize her beauty and grandeur, since in Russian “red” was synonymous with the word “beautiful”. At the beginning of the 19th century, the only monument that has survived to this day was erected here. It was erected in honor of the heroes of the struggle against the Polish intervention Pozharsky and Minin. Many experts argue that the grandeur and uniqueness of Red Square would be disturbed by unnecessary elements that cancel out the vastness and grandeur of the center of one of the most beautiful capitals in the world.
This area has become the epicenter of entertainment for young people and tourists. Since 2006, a full-fledged ice rink has been equipped here in winter, and the country’s main Christmas tree is installed in the central part. The city authorities pay great attention to the safety of this business card of Moscow, so every visitor can feel relaxed and free. Experts rightly say that the view of Red Square is the most recognizable place in Russia.
The place, which has absorbed the energy of students and young people, attracts a huge number of visitors at different times of the year. Many people say that the atmosphere that is in the air can charge and cheer up everyone who comes.
This place is considered a fairly young landmark of the city. It received its name in March 1956, since nearby are magnificent buildings of delightful architecture belonging to the Moscow University. Lomonosov. For students of Moscow State University, University Square is a symbolic place, since a large number of interesting student rituals and customs are associated with it, in which only students of this university are devoted.
The abundance of flower beds, green beds and landscape compositions gives the place a European flavor, makes you rest your soul. The territory is 130.2 thousand m2, which automatically brings it to all ratings of the largest squares in Moscow and Russia. Two spacious alleys running in parallel delight those who stroll along them with cool fountains exuding freshness. For tourists, this place is also attractive because it houses one of the best and largest viewing platforms in Moscow, from which an unforgettable view of the capital opens. You can view landscapes through telescopes for free while enjoying city pictures.
Nearby there are numerous cozy cafes and teahouses where you can relax and enjoy peace, and if you wish, you can go down the Vorobyovy Gory by the funicular. The entrance to it is on the right side of the central part. Tourists can continue their excursion at the pier or along the promenade.
The territorial location of this sight of Moscow has always attracted people here. Manezhnaya Square is not only large, but also interesting for its history. The emergence of such a huge area in the center took place as part of the implementation of the Moscow reconstruction plan. The construction began in 1931, and the first pedestrians were able to walk along it seven years later – in 1938. During this time, the buildings were cleared and underground lines were laid underground, where two large central lines are connected.
The name was determined immediately, since the facade of the Manezh opens here, which in itself is an excellent example of Russian architecture of the 19th century. In honor of the 50th anniversary of the Victory in World War II, a large monument to Marshal Zhukov was erected in the central part, and along the canal you can see sculptures by Tsereteli.
The Manezhnaya’s business card is the “Geyser” fountain, inside of which there is a composition “The Seasons”, where each season is embodied in the form of a frisky horse in a common team. It is here that the zero kilometer of Russian highways is located, along which the mileage in the country is officially counted.
The guests of the capital are interested to know that 29 years after the opening, the Manezhnaya was renamed in honor of the 50th anniversary of the October Revolution. Only 23 years later, through the efforts of activists and the initiative group, the former name was returned. Three years later, transport links were suspended here for the construction of the Okhotny Ryad underground complex, which was opened in 1997.
Modern architects are still arguing about whether it was advisable to build a shopping center here.
Some believe that he made the Manezhnaya more modern, while others believe that this decision practically destroyed the authentic look inherent in this place earlier. To understand the opinion of which side to join, you should visit this place yourself.
During perestroika and the years preceding the collapse of the USSR, Manezhnaya more than once became an arena for various demonstrations, manifestations and large rallies. Now it is considered a platform for cultural events. World stars such as The Prodigy and rapper Culio have performed here many times.
This place in Moscow is not as grandiose as other sights. Millions of tourists do not seek here, but it has become an unofficial center for lovers of quiet rest, romantics and lovers, as well as connoisseurs of the work of the most famous poet of Russia, in whose honor the official name was received.
This territory did not become the epicenter of political events, but on the other hand, holidays, festivals, concerts, large exhibitions and other cultural events were often held there. That is why she has earned the fame of a calm and serene place, where every day hundreds of dates are made and a huge number of meetings take place.
The main attraction here is the monument to Pushkin, which stands near Tverskaya Street. Due to the fact that the large figure is placed on a high pedestal, the sculptural statue is visible from all points. There is a large fountain complex nearby, next to which there are flower beds. The architectural ensemble contains the entrance to the Rossiya Theater, to which large steps lead. This type can be found on a huge number of postcards and calendars.
Until 1931, the name of the square was different – Strastnaya, after the Passion Monastery, which was demolished 7 years after it was renamed in 1938. It was at this place in 1948 that a monument to Pushkin was erected, which Stalin independently ordered. After that, a park was laid out, in the shade of which the townspeople like to spend time.
At the moment, this place is considered one of the most iconic and interesting spaces in the capital. Architecturally, it is not striking or unique; nevertheless, it is known not only among Muscovites, but also among guests of the city, as well as foreign tourists. A distinctive feature is considered to be a large swing, on which it is convenient to ride alone or in pairs.
This space is closed off for ground vehicles, making it ideal for literary readings. The first of them was arranged during the opening of the Mayakovsky monument and quickly became traditional. Then the tradition was lost for many years, and today it is revived again.
This area has changed its name many times. After the name “Triumfalnaya” it was renamed Yanyshev Square – the chairman of the revolutionary tribunal in Moscow. This name lasted only one year. In 1932 it was named Mayakovsky Square, whose name it carried until 1992. The monument to the poet was erected in 1958, since then admirers of his work have come here.
Since 2010, for three years, Mayakovka, as Muscovites still call it, was closed for access, but in 2013 it was opened again. Since then, a large multi-level parking lot has been built under it.
The place is very important for the intelligentsia, since readings of poetry were held here, including by authors banned in the USSR. Such a trend arose chaotically and persists to this day, despite the fact that from time to time the authorities tried to suppress this initiative. Now millions of people from all over the world are striving here, hoping to nourish themselves with the spirit of independence and disobedience that is in the air of Mayakovka.
Until the 16th century, there was a large swamp here, which gave the name to the square. After drying, an orchard was laid out, and later a trading area was organized. In the 17th-18th centuries, it was called Tsaritsyn Meadow, then Labaznaya, and from 1962 to 1993, Repin. At a certain moment, it was planned to erect a huge trade building here, but the project remained on paper.
Before the revolution, the largest city fairs were often held on Bolotnaya, where people from all over Russia flocked. The prices of these outlets were used to set prices throughout the Moscow region, so trading here was considered a great achievement.
The heyday that prevailed here in the pre-war years was disrupted by the outbreak of World War II. An anti-aircraft battery was placed on these kilometers, which was fired upon in 1941. The bomb hit caused a lot of damage, so they began to improve the appearance of the Swamp Square already in the post-war period. Then there appeared large columns of granite, a monument to Repin and a fountain, which later began to be illuminated in different colors in the evening hours. One of the attractions is a dry fountain, the bowls of which are installed below ground level and covered with a grate. All passers-by and vacationers can touch the jets of water erupting from the ground.