The so-called Ig Nobel Prize is awarded annually for the most non-trivial research in various fields. Consider how this year’s winning study contributed to science.
The research involved 18 heterosexual couples, some of them had a stuffy nose. Scientists evaluated his work five times: before sexual intercourse, after orgasm, and then – for three hours. For this, a special portable device was used to determine the air flow rate during nasal breathing. Participants were also asked about their subjective feelings.
David King of the University of Queensland, who reviewed the study for The Conversation, wrote that the study was well designed and conducted well despite its small size. However, an important limitation was that some participants were unable to properly focus on breath tests before and after intercourse. Therefore, data on the physiological parameters of some of them were not obtained.
Scientists compared the effect of sex in the fight against the common cold with the effect of vasoconstrictor drops, which were instilled in the same participants the next day.
Researchers found improvement in nasal breathing in people with nasal congestion immediately after orgasm, an effect comparable to that of drops. However, the effect of sex was short-lived, it lasted no more than three hours.
- If there is swelling on the forehead, around the eyes, nose, or cheeks.
- When it is accompanied by blurred vision.
- With a sore throat and white or yellow spots on the tonsils or other parts of the throat.
- Their nasal secretions have an unpleasant odor, they come out only on one side, or their color is not yellow or white.
- There is a cough that lasts more than 10 days or is accompanied by yellow or green sputum.
- Nasal discharge began after head injury.
- Symptoms have been present for more than three weeks.
- The body temperature is elevated against the background of nasal discharge.
The authors indicated that it would be interesting in the future to investigate whether masturbation has a similar effect and whether multiple orgasms are more pronounced in women.
Scientists associate the effect of sex on nasal congestion with the reflex vasoconstrictor effect of the nervous system. They point out that it was previously known that exercise and certain hormonal changes can affect how freely people breathe.