Former prosecutor of Crimea and State Duma deputy, as well as a failed ambassador to Cape Verde Natalia Poklonskaya dismissed from the post of deputy head of Rossotrudnichestvo after a little more than four months of work. The corresponding decree was published on the official Internet portal of legal information.
The reasons for the dismissal of one of the charismatic figures of the Russian Spring in 2014 and the subsequent stage of Russian politics are not explained in the document. It is only dryly stated: “To release Poklonskaya Natalya Vladimirovna from the post of Deputy Head of the Federal Agency for the Commonwealth of Independent States, Compatriots Living Abroad, and International Humanitarian Cooperation.”
Poklonskaya herself in her telegram channel explained that she was moving to another job, without specifying which one, and added that she was “thankful to our president for his support and trust.” At the same time, he noted that “it is still premature to name a new place of work, when there is an appointment, everyone will know about it.” From these words, we can conclude that Natalya Vladimirovna will work in the public service. She also added that leaving her last job was based on her own statement.
It is worth recalling that she became the deputy head of Rossotrudnichestvo after she did not start working as the Russian ambassador to Cape Verde (appointed in October 2021). In January 2022, the Russian Foreign Ministry announced that Poklonskaya would not go to this island state “for personal reasons.” In the federal agency, she dealt with the rights of compatriots abroad, and also oversaw the department of culture and art.
It is worth recalling that in April the deputy head of the committee on legislation of the Crimean State Council (parliament) Sergey Trofimov announced the possibility of depriving the expressive official of state awards for her statements regarding the Russian special operation in Ukraine. Her words that “the letter Z symbolizes a tragedy for both Russia and Ukraine” also outraged the head of Rossotrudnichestvo Evgenia Primakovapointing out the “voluntarism” of his subordinate.
Political scientist Konstantin Kalachev I am sure that the resignation of Poklonskaya is of a “voluntary-compulsory” nature and is explained by her position in relation to the special operation in Ukraine:
– She spoke about the Ukrainian events primarily as a woman, and not as a person in the civil service. At present, when there is no place in society for any shades, but there are “us” and “them”, if you work in such a position, you must adhere to the “general line of the party”. So, in fact, Poklonskaya behaved like a kind of opportunist, which cannot be welcomed.
“SP”: – Where can she continue her labor activity?
– It is possible that they will find a position for her in which she will have fewer opportunities and she will not be able to irritate the authorities so much. It will be, of course, a place of honor, but not very influential.
– Does she have a chance to remain in politics and in the center of public attention?
– Natalia Poklonskaya has such an indisputable property as the ability to break patterns. She was one of the symbols of the “Russian spring” and now demonstrates such an attitude towards what is happening. Perhaps her time as a politician has not yet come. But she is a charming, talented person and in the future, of course, she will still be able to prove herself. Of the public politicians in our country, practically no one is capable of such frank manifestations of emotions, this is considered too beyond the accepted framework, but Poklonskaya has everything too much – and love for Nicholas II and much more.
“SP”: – Can a politician allow such manifestations?
– In a good way, this kind of sincerity in politics should be welcomed. But today everything is too overorganized, so to speak. And so Poklonskaya simply did not find a place in it. She partly violated the unspoken code of a Russian official. But her return to big politics is, of course, possible. After all, the current situation is not forever. It is possible that after some time people will be needed who are able to go out to the people, who can talk to the street. A generation over 60 will leave politics and others will come in their place. If people change, style will change.
According to political scientist Grigory Mironovthe statements of the former deputy head of Rossotrudnichestvo regarding the Russian military operation in Ukraine can be described as shocking:
“Still, an official of this level cannot allow himself such words when our military is fighting the Ukrainian Nazis for the liberation of Donbass. In any case, with her criticism and behavior, she closed herself the opportunity to work in influential positions.
I think her political career will become more and more oppositional. Here there is a danger that not only oppositionists, but also our obvious enemies can take advantage of her image and ambitions. The latter can use this story in the media to demonstrate that “even such people are against Moscow’s actions.” Of course, Natalya Vladimirovna will draw conclusions from what happened. And either it will take a clear patriotic position, or anti-state. From her, after she went to the action “Immortal Regiment” with a portrait of Nicholas II, you can expect anything.
– On the network, a number of experts said that she is a kind of “unformatted character.” It really fell out earlier, so to speak, from the general row of the political force that it represented. Can she, as a politician (or official), work in a team, or is she a purely “individual player”?
– Unfortunately, she really is not a team player, her actions are sometimes difficult to predict. And the deputy work in the State Duma confirmed its unpredictability. But at the same time, it should be taken into account that it is still incomparable in scale with the same recently departed Vladimir Zhirinovskyor some other strong political figure, so her performances are perceived strangely by both the political elite and the majority of the country’s population.
“SP”: – What could be the field for its further activities? She is young and she clearly likes to be in the center of public attention. It is hard to imagine that she will go into the shadows …
– Of course, she will continue her political career, or at least try to do so. If during the “Crimean spring” she was valuable as a politician, a civil servant and a person who managed to inspire many people in her own way, then later her widespread demand for many of these qualities began to decline. She constantly became the subject of various scandalous stories, and many citizens began to get the feeling that she was not fully acting in the interests of the Russian state. Therefore, having made competent conclusions and finding normal assistants, she will be able to become a figure that has a serious impact on social processes. But so far, apart from scandals and hype, we see almost nothing.
From the Editor: Not even a day has passed since the moment when Natalya Poklonskaya left her post in Rossotrudnichestvo, as she announced in her Telegram channel that she had been appointed to the position of adviser to the Prosecutor General. And she added that she was stopping her activities in social networks in order to fully concentrate on the tasks that would be set by the Attorney General.