President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko denied allegations of sweeps after the murder of a KGB officer. According to him, the special services will work in a targeted manner, identifying radical persons, and will not begin to carry out sweeping operations along the entire front.
On Tuesday, the republic’s KGB reported that an employee of the department was mortally wounded during a special event to work out addresses where people potentially involved in terrorism could be. It was noted that the criminal was destroyed by the return fire. As the Investigative Committee of Belarus later clarified, the 40-year-old wife of the man, who “filmed the crime and assisted in its commission,” was detained on suspicion of complicity in the murder of a KGB officer.
“Listen, we are not stupid enough to go on the fronts in modern conditions. Because if we go forward – we know how to do this too – innocent people may suffer. When you go to the front, you can get caught people who are absolutely not involved in these matters, ”the head of state said.
He also noted that with the help of the special services and other units of the power bloc in Belarus, they will target different people, and denied suggestions that the murder of a KGB officer would become a pretext for carrying out sweeps along the entire front.
“Therefore, I want to clarify my position once again: we will point, accurately, with the help of special services and other departments of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and others, we will work out different people, different organizations and different options. We are smart enough to deal with every scoundrel pointwise, ”Lukashenka concluded.
Meanwhile, the head of the KGB Ivan Tertel stated that his department would not leave unanswered the murder of its employee. According to him, the “inspirers” of the incident crossed the red line.
“We know who is behind this and we believe they have crossed the red line. Therefore … we will not leave this situation unanswered, ”he told reporters.
“The head of state yesterday drew my special attention to caring for the family – wife and child, all help will be provided. I would like to emphasize once again that we have crossed the red line … we will not forget this, ”added Tertel.
What does it mean? Are the authorities not using this case as a pretext for launching a new offensive against the opposition? Moreover, a political trace has been drawn in the sazu business. According to Lukashenka, there is evidence that preparations for the provocation were carried out in advance.
“Nobody was going to die there. It was necessary to show the footage, and in real time, this is also already known, they broadcast these shots there, to Poland, America, ”he said.
What does it mean? Looking for external enemies again?
– Perhaps the Belarusian president was not informed that online broadcasts of anything can be watched from anywhere in the world, where social networks are not blocked and the Internet is caught, – ironically Stanislav Byshok, Ph.D. in Political Science, Executive Director of the International Monitoring Organization CIS-EMO… – But these are technical details. In essence, we are talking about the “externalization” of the protest, that is, the promotion of the Belarusian officialdom of the point of view that oppositional moods have no real internal reasons, but are provoked by hostile external centers of power and are realized through the “fifth column” or “useful idiots”. In addition to “externalization”, we also see the continuing criminalization of opposition activities, when everyone who disagrees with the policies of the current government is viewed as a potential terrorist or something like that.
“SP”: – Lukashenka tied the detainees with the opposition “Workers’ Movement”, allegedly aiming at a strike and stopping large enterprises. How serious are these charges? One gets the impression that the government has launched a large-scale offensive against the dissenters.
– One of the tactics of nonviolent resistance proposed by the Belarusian opposition is strikes. A certain level of strike activity was indeed at the peak of the mass general civil protests in the summer and autumn of 2020, but it cannot be said that today there are any prospects for its repetition or, even more so, the expansion of geography and the involvement of new enterprises in strikes. Even a leaderless protest requires local leaders. The strike will not start itself.
A large-scale offensive by the Belarusian authorities on civil society has already happened: first, the most prominent leaders and activists were squeezed out of the country or imprisoned, then, through the similarity of Operation Trust, they covered the leaders of the second row (what was called an attempted coup d’etat), now activists of the third echelon are being identified , along the way hinting that the closer the victory over the “rebels”, the more fierce the war. Such a Minsk dialectic.
“SP”: – At the same time, Lukashenka refutes the assumptions about the clean-up operations after the murder of a KGB officer. At the same time, the KGB promised not to leave the murder of an employee unanswered. Will this not be the reason for the start of a large-scale repressive campaign?
– It is not entirely clear to whom else the Belarusian security forces are going to answer if the IT specialist who shot in the storming of his apartment is killed, and his wife is taken into custody and placed in the notorious isolation ward on Akrestsin Street. According to the statements of the official Minsk, as well as a carbon copy of the written demands a la 1937 – “to crush the Zmagar reptile”, which were posted on social networks by many public, political and media figures connected with state structures of Belarus, the authorities at least want to demonstrate that they are ready move on. Another question is that at some point in the country, not only IT people with guns, but also without them may end.
So far, the first victim of the new campaign in Minsk was the website of the Belarusian edition of Komsomolskaya Pravda kp. by, which was blocked almost due to suspicion of supporting terrorism in the republic. Even here Dmitry Peskov issued a statement condemning the move. The Kremlin does not often criticize the Belarusian authorities.
“SP”: – In your opinion, in the year that has passed since last year’s protests, the authorities have not made any conclusions for themselves? Wait only for tightening the screws and no democratization?
– The constitutional reform, which no one asked for, does not imply democratization. According to the theses voiced by the members of the Constitutional Commission, the new constitution will not differ in essence from the previous one. Of course, there is not a single representative of the opposition or just a non-supporter of Alexander Lukashenko in this commission. After mass protests, Minsk did not begin to co-opt anyone from the opposition – unless, of course, it was considered co-opted who had no weight in or outside the opposition. Yuri Voskresensky or broken Roman Protasevich… In Israel, they do not negotiate with terrorists, and in Belarus – with civil society. However, the incumbent President Lukashenko recently said that he has his own correct civil society – Komsomol members, women’s organizations, etc. He will communicate with them.
To date, the only external force that could put pressure on Minsk in terms of changing its internal policy is only Moscow. But I cannot imagine a situation in which Moscow will demand from Minsk democratization, open elections, admission of all candidates and international observers. They may demand from Kiev (however, they won’t listen there), but from Minsk – how is it possible?
– Our Slavic Admiral-General Aladdin continues his game, – says coordinator of the “Other Russia E. V. Limonov” party * Andrey Dmitriev… – The murder of a KGB officer with not entirely clear circumstances plays into his hands. This is a reason to continue to kill the unwitting and generally maintain fear in society. Here at the funeral Fedosyuk Head of the National Security Commission of the House of Representatives of the National Assembly Oleg Belokonev actually called for mass murders of oppositionists: “For one – twenty, one hundred. It may be rude, but sincere. ” However, the fate of the Zmagar opposition should not worry us especially – let the West worry about them. Another thing is more important.
First, there is no union. Here, in an interview with CNN, dad again, for the umpteenth time, said that Belarus would not join Russia, it’s, they say, stupidity. But I believe that such “stupidity” would be supported by a large number of people. And the return of Minsk to its native harbor is no less important than Sevastopol. But it is Lukashenka who stands in the way of this today, who is himself the Belarusian nationalist number 1, which he has proved many times with his statements and actions. However, Moscow continues to regularly pump up money and support him. I wonder if there are masochists in the Kremlin, maybe they enjoy this mockery?
Secondly, one cannot fail to note the numerous attacks of the local power vertical on Russian citizens and the media. Right now, the site of “Komsomolskaya Pravda” has been blocked for a completely innocent comment about this very murdered KGB Andrey Zeltser, even earlier in the republic its printed version ceased to be published. Moreover, “Komsomolskaya Pravda” is quite loyal to the Old Man, but by Russian standards. And in Belarusian it is already sedition. Editor Vladimir Sungorkin indignant, but it does not lead to anything. Or remember the case of the Russian woman Irina Vikkholm, who received 1.5 years in prison for writing in social networks about the “crime of Lukashenka” in connection with the landing of a Raynair plane in Minsk. Something is not visible indignation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Rossotrudnichestvo and other structures in this regard.
In general, the atmosphere of psychosis and policing, which the old man established in his fiefdom, will lead to new similar incidents and poison the lives of people. I’m not even saying that in the current situation, the emergence of some kind of grassroots pro-Russian initiatives, new political structures that can lead a bad dad and even worse zmagars away from a dead-end confrontation is impossible by definition. Crushed and trampled right away.
* not registered by the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation…