The oil and gas industry is one of the most promising and profitable economic spheres. Modern technologies in oil and gas business and specialists who will develop and implement them are in demand in the labor market. The stable demand for personnel also explains the growing interest of applicants in this area of training.
The specialty “Oil and Gas Engineering and Technology” (code 21.05.06) can be obtained only at a higher educational institution. Applicants should understand that after graduating from the university they will have to work far from megacities – in the area where deposits are being developed.
The profession is promising, since, having gained practical experience, an employee can engage in organizational activities in the office, and in the future – head a branch, a representative office of a company or the company itself.
We need industries and talented developers, designers who will create and implement innovative solutions and will engage in scientific activities.
Characteristics of the specialty
The training of future engineers is aimed at obtaining theoretical and practical knowledge in the following areas:
- Effective development and operation of deposits onshore and offshore.
- Use of modern technologies in the oil and gas industry to increase production volumes without harming the environment.
- Fight against possible complications and emergency situations in the process of subsoil development.
- Safe development of hydrocarbon deposits.
- Implementation of automation and production management systems.
- Rational operation, maintenance of pipelines, storage facilities and other equipment.
- Influence of technogenic factors on the production process.
- Calculation of the efficiency of movement of production products through pipelines.
Conditions of admission
Training in the areas of oil and gas engineering and technology is carried out on a specialty basis on the basis of complete secondary education (11 classes).
Applicants take exams in the following disciplines:
- mathematics (profile subject);
- Russian language.
Forms of education – full-time, part-time, part-time.
- for full-time students – 5.5 years;
- for full-time and part-time students – 6-6.5 years.
The task of the educational institution is to prepare a specialist in demand in the industry.
The educational program includes the following disciplines:
- Fundamentals of oil and gas business.
- Shelf development history.
- Downhole oil and gas production.
- Development and operation of deposits.
- Physics layer.
- Underground hydromechanics.
- Downhole production.
- Hydrodynamic studies of reservoirs and wells.
- Construction of offshore fields.
- Offshore field development technologies.
- Oil and gas and field equipment.
- Well repair.
- Methods for increasing gas recovery from reservoirs.
- Computer modeling in the industry.
- Mathematical analysis of production processes.
- Exploitation of fields in difficult conditions.
A graduate of a specialty receives the necessary knowledge to independently solve the following professional tasks:
- Organization of production and technical activities.
- Technical control over the process of field development, mining, uninterrupted operation of equipment and oil and gas transportation systems.
- Development and approval of regulations for carrying out works of increased danger and technical complexity, approval of this documentation.
- Management of the processes of drilling wells, construction of derricks, their further use and maintenance in compliance with the current norms and standards.
- Control over the reconstruction of similar facilities on land and at sea.
- Organization of the technological process of construction, operation, maintenance and overhaul of field facilities, pipelines, underground and surface storage facilities.
- Design and implementation of automation systems in the production process to improve safety and increase production efficiency.
- Diagnostics, testing and monitoring the technical condition of automation systems.
- Implementation of environmental safety measures in the oil industry.
- Systematic improvement of technical production, bringing it to a modern competitive level.
- Creation of innovative drilling, production, transportation systems with increased safety.
- Drawing up plans for the elimination of emergency situations and accidents at the site of subsoil development.
- Organization and production management.
What to work with?
Graduates of the faculties of “Oil and Gas Engineering and Technology” can work:
- drilling engineers;
- oil geologists;
- pipeline diagnosticians;
- equipment designers;
- developers of process and production automation systems;
- well workover technologists;
- managers of oil and gas projects.
Oil and Gas Project Manager
The main responsibility of a project manager is to organize the production process so that the efficiency of workers and equipment is maximized, and safety measures (including environmental) are observed.
The specifics of the industry are such that one cannot do without practical experience in such a position. As a rule, managers become geophysical engineers with experience of working on drilling rigs. They know all the stages of work, are able to solve the assigned tasks, prepare documentation for the project, assess its effectiveness.
The average salary of a manager is 60 thousand, the maximum salary is 516 thousand rubles (Hereinafter, information on remuneration is taken from open sources that post employers’ vacancies).
- creates new oil and gas equipment and technologies;
- examines its reliability, safety, durability, efficiency;
- prepares design and technical documentation.
The salary of a designer without experience is 50-55 thousand, the maximum salary is 160 thousand rubles.
Gas pipeline diagnostic engineer
Diagnostics make sure that the main pipelines, gas pumping facilities are functioning properly. To do this, they carry out inspections and diagnostics of the components of the gas transmission system in a timely manner.
- controls the quality of welded seams;
- examines and identifies defects inside the pipes;
- diagnoses the effectiveness of anti-corrosion protection;
- identifies areas affected by corrosion and takes measures to eliminate it;
- organizes and supervises diagnostic work.
Already today, automatic and mobile devices are used in diagnostics. In the future, all systems will be equipped with built-in self-diagnosis modules. Accordingly, in 7-10 years the demand for diagnostic engineers will decrease to a minimum.
Today the salary of such specialists is 55 thousand, and the maximum amount is 296.6 thousand rubles.
A geological engineer organizes and conducts geological surveys in order to assess the degree of sustainability of facilities and structures under construction and reconstruction.
The duties of a geologist include the selection of soil samples, their study and testing. They often have to work in the field. The stability of drilling rigs, other facilities, and the safety of workers depend on the correctness and completeness of the conclusions of geological prospecting.
Geological engineers receive an average of 67,000 rubles. The maximum salary in the Russian labor market is 516,000 rubles.
Oil, gas and gas condensate production specialist
Technological support of all production processes is the main task of this specialist. He is also responsible for:
- development and implementation of measures to reduce the harm of deposits of salts, emulsions and other components in wells and equipment;
- safe launch of production units and their shutdown;
- analysis of well efficiency, dynamics from development;
- optimization of the work of people and technology;
- timely maintenance and overhaul of wells.
The wages range from 43,100 to 204,000 rubles.
An oil geologist searches for new oil and gas fields, designs them, evaluates their efficiency, and then controls their development. When the well is depleted, the geologist oversees the process of its reconstruction, conservation or abandonment.
Geologists in Russia receive 60,000 – 155,000 rubles.
Future oil specialists in Russia are trained by:
- St. Petersburg Mining University;
- Russian State University of Oil and Gas named after I.M. Gubkin;
- Ufa State Oil Technical University;
- Udmurt State University;
- Perm National Research Polytechnic University;
- South-Russian State Polytechnic University named after M.I. Platova;
- Grozny State Oil Technical University named after academician M.D. Millionshchikova.
- Ugra State University.