Thoughts are extremely powerful, able to hold you, push you, or lift you. Your life is a reflection of your thoughts and the words you live by. Everyone, regardless of their religion or nationality, adheres to certain words of wisdom. These words are so powerful that they transcend all differences between people. Holding such a code shapes personality and forms the unique characteristics of each culture.
The Native American Code of Ethics is one of the most spiritually developed codes. It was originally released in Intertribal Times in October 1994 and it helps people improve their lives and get the most out of it, whether they are Americans or not.
Native American Code of Ethics
- Get up with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often. The Great Spirit will listen if you only speak.
- Be tolerant of those who are lost along the way. All negative emotions such as ignorance, anger, vanity, jealousy and greed stem from the lost soul.
- Find yourself, on your own. Never let others walk your path for you, for it is your path and yours alone. Others may walk with you, but no one can walk it for you.
- Treat your guests with great care. Always serve them the best food, give them the best bed, and treat them with respect.
- Don’t accept what doesn’t belong to you, the person, or the community. You didn’t earn it and it’s not yours.
- Respect all things equally, be it a person or a plant.
- Respect the thoughts, wishes and words of others. Never interrupt another, mock or roughly imitate them. Give each person the right to personal expression.
- Never speak badly of others. The negative energy you bring out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you.
- We all make mistakes and all mistakes can be forgiven.
- Believe in yourself. You cannot nurture and help others if you cannot nurture and help yourself first.
- Respect other religious beliefs. Don’t force others to believe in you.
- Share your luck with others. Get involved in charity.
- Negative thoughts cause disease in the mind, body and spirit. practice optimism.
- Nature is not for us, it is a PART of us. Animals, plants and other living beings are part of your family.
- Children are the seeds of our future. Love them with all your heart and wrap them in wisdom and life lessons. When they grow up, give them room to grow.
- Don’t offend others. The poison of your pain will return to you.
- Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of will in this universe.
- Keep yourself in balance. Your mental self, Spiritual self, Emotional self, and Physical self must be strong, clean, and healthy. Develop the body to strengthen the mind. Cultivate a rich spirit to cure emotional illnesses.
- Make conscious decisions about who you will become and how you will respond. Take responsibility for your actions.
- Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Do not touch other people’s personal property, especially sacred and religious objects. It is forbidden.