President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko announced the arrest of a group of persons who were preparing an attempt on the life of him and his children. The video of the speech was published by the Pool of the First Telegram channel close to the press service of the head of state.
“The plans were to capture the child, one, the second, how it goes … We detained the group, they brought us, showed us how they planned everything,” the president said.
The old man also expressed the opinion that this is the work of the US special services, adding that the suspects were detained in Moscow. “I asked the President of Russia and Sasha Bortnikova from the FSB, and we took them. God forbid, they touch the children, it will be a terrible massacre, ”Lukashenka added and specified that the task of eliminating him was approved by the US top leadership.
The Belarusian leader also revealed other details. It turns out that the President of Russia Vladimir Putin in a conversation with an American colleague Joe Biden raised the question of the preparation by the US special services of an assassination attempt on the President of Belarus, but did not receive an answer.
Later, the FSB of Russia reported the arrest of two people who were planning a military coup in Belarus. One of them is an American citizen Yuri Zyankovich, arrived in Moscow after consultations in the USA and Poland. He and the second conspirator – Alexander Feduta – met in the Russian capital with opposition-minded Belarusian generals to persuade them to take part in the coup. The seizure of power with the physical elimination of Lukashenka was planned on May 9 during the Victory Parade in Minsk.
The conspirators held a secret meeting in one of the Moscow restaurants in a separate office, but their entire conversation was recorded by the Russian special service, after which they were immediately detained and handed over to their Belarusian colleagues.
Earlier, Lukashenka announced the adoption of an important decision. “This will be one of my principal decisions for a quarter of a century of presidency. It will be very serious, ”he said, without specifying what kind of decision he was talking about.
“Even if I’m not there, in the popular way, only through my corpse, they will not succeed,” he stressed.
– The assassination attempt on Old Man looks quite logical, – considers Associate Professor of the Financial University under the Government of Russia Gevorg Mirzayan…
– Maidan in Belarus failed. Lukashenko sat on the throne. Yes, it would take a long time and scrupulously to prepare a new coup (using the mistakes of the Old Man), but here, perhaps, there was no time because of the “fateful decision” that he made. Therefore, probably, they decided to “cut off the head of the snake.”
“SP”: – And what kind of solution could it be?
– Nobody knows. Perhaps he is hinting at the transfer of power to a successor – however, it is likely that it is still about signing integration agreements with Russia. Those same roadmaps, including (possibly) a map on the creation of all-Union institutions of management.
“SP”: – Lukashenka said that even if he does not exist, “they will not succeed,” without specifying who they are talking about. And this is how to understand?
– Like his bluff. The assassination of the head of state causes perturbation and power struggles that make it impossible to sign serious integration agreements. In addition, the new head of state – whoever he is – does not have the proper internal legitimacy to make such fateful decisions. Finally, the adoption of such decisions after the murder could provoke talk that Lukashenka was killed for exactly this reason – he allegedly did not want to sign anything, so he was eliminated. Rave? Maybe. But the legitimacy of the decision is undermined.
“SP”: – Lukashenko spoke with Putin. Could it have something to do with it?
– Well, yes, they probably discussed what happened. But in general, the operation did not take place on April 17 or April 16 – Alexander Feduta was detained on April 13.
“SP”: – Does everything that is happening mean that Lukashenka is taking a course of tightening the screws, and Moscow supports him in this??
– Probably yes. And if we are talking about a coup attempt, then the situation is justified. However, it is still too early to speak unequivocally. We must first see what kind of decision Batka is talking about.
– In my opinion, the “most important decision” that Lukashenko is talking about is likely to be associated with a complete breakdown in relations with Western countries, which will be accused of open aggression against Belarus, – Evgeny Valyaev, political analyst of the Foundation for the Development of Civil Society Institutions “People’s Diplomacy”…
– At the moment, Russia and Belarus, and this has never happened before, have synchronized their foreign policy positions – they are formulated as confrontational in relation to the West. A similar synchronization took place on the domestic political agenda, in which the opposition is viewed as agents of foreign states …
Moscow and Minsk are using the “besieged fortress” technology to conserve their political systems. State propaganda in both countries works to develop a siege mentality among the population that would help the authorities pursue a policy of restricting civil rights and freedoms.