Ukraine has attracted only about 7,000 mercenaries from 63 countries, less than 5,000 remain today, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said. Igor Konashenkov.
“The largest group arrived from Poland – 1717 people. About one and a half thousand mercenaries arrived from the USA, Canada, and also Romania. From the UK and Georgia, each – up to 300 people. 193 people arrived from Turkish-controlled areas of the Syrian Arab Republic,” Konashenkov said.
According to him, the vast majority of mercenaries are now distributed as part of Ukrainian groups in the cities of Kyiv, Kharkov, Odessa, Nikolaev and Mariupol.
“Their distribution by grouping is carried out by the “regional coordinating headquarters” of the so-called “International Defense Legion of Ukraine” in the city of Bila Tserkva. As a result of hostilities, the number of mercenaries is steadily declining and today is 4877 people, ”Konashenkov said.
He also emphasized that the mercenaries are not combatants, the best thing that awaits them is a long term in prison: “They came to Ukraine to earn money by killing Slavs. Therefore, the best thing that awaits them is criminal liability and long prison terms.”
Interestingly, is seven thousand a lot? And is it only about those who fight for money, and not about ideological Nazis? And who pays this money?
“Everyone fights for money, even ideological Nazis,” he has no doubts. Director of the Center for Public and Information Cooperation “Europe”, political scientist Eduard Popov.
– The question of who pays for the services of mercenaries is very interesting. I think the source of money is the same as the sponsor of the Euromaidan. That is, some budget or extra-budgetary funds from the United States and Western countries. This is huge money. But Ukraine, more precisely, Zelensky’s ruling regime, does not receive this money in vain. Americans don’t give money in vain. And Ukraine, or rather, that of its territory that will remain Ukraine, will have to pay the “philanthropists” in full. Lands and territory.
“SP”: – Is seven thousand a lot? Could this affect anything?
– Seven thousand mercenaries, for the most part well trained and with combat experience, that’s a lot. And, unfortunately, this is only the beginning. But I want to immediately draw attention to the incorrectness of the term. Mercenaries are not quite what they really are. Along with the classic “wild geese”, full-time military personnel of the armies of NATO countries are fighting in Ukraine. The Ukrainians and the West call them volunteers, we call them mercenaries. In fact, NATO is directly involved in the conflict. The Russian special operation in Ukraine is a confrontation between Russia and the NATO vanguard on the Ukrainian foothold. The Alliance did not dare to directly intervene in the conflict, so they resorted to such an indirect form of participation. Our recognition of this fact radically changes the geopolitical and domestic political situation.
“SP”: – The countries that sent mercenaries to Ukraine will deny the presence of their military there? Even when they show the prisoners? Will they “harness” for their citizens?
“I don’t think they will deny the presence of “volunteers.” Zelensky advertised the creation of the International Legion in order to get cover: volunteers from all over the world are fighting on the side of Ukraine. In fact, this is a form of legalization of full-time military personnel of NATO countries. The West will deny only this fact, but not the presence of “volunteers” in the ranks of the Ukrainian army and national battalions.
SP: What should we do with them? Recently, rumors have been circulating about the possibility of exchanging this for that. Should we agree to an exchange, or is it indicative to judge and imprison? Or do not take prisoners at all?
“I don’t want to look like one of the bunch of experts who advise our army from the couch. But let me offer a few thoughts. First of all, it is necessary to establish and prove the fact of the presence of foreign military personnel. This will be a powerful confirmation that the West is a party to the conflict. I also believe that the work of the prosecutor’s office will be needed. Foreign citizens have violated international and Russian law, respectively, should be prosecuted. It is desirable that the trial – both of the Ukrainian Nazis and their foreign accomplices, “Nuremberg-2” – be public and as wide as possible for the international public.
How much these seven thousand mercenaries can affect anything depends on the quality of the “material,” believes Associate Professor of the Financial University under the Government of Russia Gevorg Mirzayan.
– These can be both ideological volunteers and experienced mercenaries who have passed combat points. We do not know the qualitative composition, so it is difficult to judge. But in principle, seven thousand is a decent amount. We remind you that their task is to delay the hostilities as much as possible.
“SP”: – All those states from which the mercenaries came – are these countries hostile to Russia?
– Not. Not all. In addition, not all states treat these mercenaries well – take the same Georgia, which disowned them. A mercenary – if he is a mercenary who works for money, or a crusader who goes for an idea, fights not for the flag of his state, but for coins or the same idea. Therefore, it is impossible to rank all the countries where the mercenaries came from as Russophobic.
“SP”: – 193 people arrived from the Turkish-controlled areas of Syria. That is, Turkey is also indirectly involved in the conflict in Ukraine?
– The Turks could send people who are in the care of the Turkish special services, or Western countries could hire their friends from among the Syrian terrorists for a better paid job than sitting in Idlib. Employers may vary.
“SP”: – It is reported that there are already 5,000. 2,000 neutralized in a month and a half of a special military operation. Is this a good result?
Let the military say that. From a political point of view, it is not important that two thousand were reset to zero, but how this reset affected the rest. There, almost 1,000 fled, realizing that Ukraine is by no means a fun safari. Here is the result!
SP: What to do with them? Judge and jail? Or change?
– Conduct under cameras to name the name and purpose of the presence in Ukraine. Then judge. And defiantly change.