In accordance with modern fashion, every girl and woman should have at least one long skirt in their wardrobe today. But what if the options offered by the stores are not attractive neither in appearance, nor in quality, nor in price? - Better to sew a skirt with your own hands in half an hour. This is not at all difficult to do. Even in the absence of skills and special sewing equipment, for this you only need:
Tools and materials
- Thick fabric in your favorite color and with your favorite pattern - 1.5 m.
- Tape measure.
- Sharp scissors.
- Needle or sewing machine.
- Threads matching the color.
- Elastic waist.
- Lace - optional.
You can sew a skirt with your own hands without a sewing machine, although if you have one, the work is even easier and faster. A simple sequence of actions is as follows:
- We take measurements from the model. From myself, sisters, mothers, daughters ...
- We prepare tools and materials for sewing.
- We do the cutting.
- We process the edges.
- We sew a skirt.
- We decorate.
- We iron out.
In more detail, the technology of how to sew a skirt with your own hands in half an hour is simple, looks like this.
How to take measurements for a skirt
Today we are going to sew a straight cut skirt. So, we measure the waist circumference (the fabric will need to be taken one and a half times more so that the skirt can be easily dressed and looked concise). If the fabric is one and a half meters wide, and you are a girl or woman of average build, then this width is quite enough. For larger girls and women, it is worth taking a fabric 2 m wide. And for small and fragile girls, it is better to cut the fabric to the size of the waist circumference with a margin of one and a half or two times.
The second dimension for sewing a skirt is its length. The length is measured from the waist to the knee, ankle or any other point of the legs that you need. You need to take 5-10 cm in reserve for the hem and the belt. It turns out that along the length of the fabric you need to take the following:
- The length of the skirt from the waist to a specific point (ankle, for example).
- Plus 5-10 cm for hem and waist.
How to sew a skirt with your own hands
When the dimensions are removed, the tools and materials are prepared, we proceed to cutting and sewing:
1. First, unfold the fabric to the wrong side. We measure the width (stretches) and length of the skirt, as described above. It is better to carefully cut off the edge with protruding threads.
2. We carefully process all the edges of the skirt so that the threads do not unravel and so that all the folds are done in only one layer. We overlap or process the edges as shown in the photo.
3. Bend the bottom of the skirt by one or two centimeters. We take a note.
4. Sew the bottom of the skirt on a typewriter or with a seam called "back needle".
5. Next, fold the fabric in half in height to finish the side seam. We apply two side seams to each other with the front side. We retreat from the edge a couple of centimeters, sweep and sew with the same seam as the bottom was processed.
6. If you want a cut, then retreat from the bottom of the skirt the required number of centimeters, tuck the free edges inside the skirt, sew.
7. Work the side of the skirt and the cut with your favorite seam.
8. The last step is an elastic band. To process the top of the skirt, turn the edge inside out twice (so it is tighter and safer) and so many centimeters so that a waist elastic can easily fit inside the hem. We take a note.
9. Insert the rubber band with a pin. We sew both its edges into one. We process the top of the skirt with your favorite seam.
10. If desired, decorate the bottom or top of the skirt with lace, sew a belt or select a suitable one.
11. Dress the finished skirt with a matching blouse. If the skirt is long, then on the reverse side of the top you can sew straps from the same fabric to it, use the skirt as a dress if necessary. Enjoy your tailoring, women of fashion and craftswomen!