Even a neat and reverent attitude towards kitchen appliances is not always a guarantee that an extraneous smell will not appear in it.
The reasons for the appearance of “aroma” in it can be very different – from technical factors (only a specialist can deal with them) to elementary ones, which even improvised means can cope with.
The causes of the smell
The most common causes of fridge odors are:
- improper storage of products (lack of packaging, incorrectly set temperature, etc.);
- clogged drain hole;
- the specific aroma of some dishes (salted cabbage, cut onion, etc.);
- expired products;
- food residues (crumbs, drops);
- irregular cleaning of the device.
As a rule, such reasons can be easily removed by ordinary wet cleaning of the refrigerator. And the possible remaining odor, after eliminating its source, should be removed with the help of absorbers and flavors.
How to clean the refrigerator
Washing your refrigerator is the most effective way to get rid of any foreign odors inside it.
- To begin with, the technique must be disconnected from the power supply.
- Unload all products completely. Sort them out, throw them away with an expired shelf life, check the tightness of the original packaging, if necessary, place them in containers.
- Remove all shelves, boxes and containers from the chamber.
- Clean the drain hole. Wash the walls of the refrigerator with one of the cleaning solutions, then rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
- Wash shelves, boxes, containers for storing food, dry.
It is recommended to do the same with a new refrigerator. From the fact that from the factory to the kitchen of the end user, he “travels” in a closed form, a stagnant smell gradually accumulates in it.
Therefore, before turning on the refrigerator to the network, its chamber and freezer must be well washed inside, wiped, allowed to ventilate and closed only after complete drying.
The better to wash
The best wash to quickly and effectively eliminate the unpleasant odor in the refrigerator:
- Soda solution (2 tablespoons of baking soda per 1 liter of water). A reliable assistant in solving many household problems related to the removal of dirt. Well suited for regular maintenance of the device. It is best used to combat low odors.
- A vinegar solution (9% vinegar mixed with water in equal proportions) is effective against stagnant and ingrained “aromas”. But there is a limitation: it is not recommended to use it for washing the seal, acid treatment can lead to the gum drying out and cracking. At the end of the work (washing, rinsing, drying) the refrigerator must be ventilated.
- Citric acid or lemon juice. To prepare the solution, it is enough to add a little freshly squeezed lemon juice or acid to the water. And so that the smell of citrus freshness is preserved as long as possible, after that, you can put a small slice of lemon on each of the shelves. After drying, they are thrown away and renewed.
- Soap solution made from shavings of laundry soap, grated and dissolved in water. Laundry soap has not only good cleaning, but also disinfecting properties. To prepare a concentrated solution, grate the floor of the bar and dissolve in 5 liters of warm water.
If the rotten smell is still present after processing the refrigerator compartment, the procedure should be repeated again. For greater efficiency, the solution applied to the walls of the refrigerator can be left to act for 5-10 minutes and only then washed off.
Close the door only after the surfaces have completely dried and the “aromas” have been weathered.
None of the above solutions need to be boiled or heated to enhance the effect. For comfort, it is best to dilute the selected product in warm water, and carry out all work with rubber gloves.
Do not use ordinary household chemicals to wash the refrigerator. In the household department, it is better to choose special products with a safe composition, designed specifically for the care of refrigerators.
These cleaners are most often available as a gel or spray. They not only easily remove various impurities, but also eliminate unpleasant odors, prevent the development of bacteria and microorganisms. In addition, many are versatile and can also be used for cleaning freezers and other surfaces.
What can be put inside
After general cleaning, you can put adsorbents and fragrances inside the refrigerator. In a small open container, which is placed on a shelf, they most often fall asleep:
- crushed activated carbon tablets;
- ground coffee;
- baking soda;
- dry rice;
- coffee grounds;
- unused whole tea bags (possible with aromatic additives);
- dry spices (turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, etc.);
- dried pomegranate peels;
- slices of rye bread;
- citrus peel;
- apple slices or slices of raw potatoes, fresh lemon wedges. These products are not suitable for long-term use; such odor absorbers must be renewed every 1-2 days.
The above funds, with some exceptions, are recommended to be updated at least 1-2 times a week. All of them, after such use, must be disposed of without further use for any purpose.
In addition to folk remedies, various odor absorbers are suitable for equipping the refrigerator, which can be purchased from a specialized department. They must be used and changed in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation.