Herring under a fur coat is a classic salad from Soviet times, which was born in an era of general scarcity, survived decades and surprisingly firmly entered our culinary culture.
Today, store shelves are full of overseas vegetables, dozens of types of fish and many sauces.
However, if you know some of the tricks, which we will describe below, the usual salad will turn out to be much more interesting and tastier.
Who came up with this popular recipe? There are many funny theories and tales about the origin of herring under a fur coat. According to one of them, the author of the legendary dish was the Moscow merchant Anastas Bogomilov.
In the difficult post-revolutionary times, workers, peasants, soldiers and sailors often arranged political discussions in his drinking establishments, ending in massacres, smashing dishes and singing “Internationale” on the tables.
Anastas came up with a “dish of peace”, which, he believed, would be able to calm down and reconcile different classes at the table. Each ingredient in the salad was symbolic: the available herring stood for the proletariat, the potatoes and onions that came out of the land were the peasantry, and the beets were the red banner of the revolution.
The salad presented on the eve of 1919 received the name corresponding to the era: “To chauvinism and decline – boycott and anathema”, and in abbreviated form – “Sh. U. BA “. Visitors liked the hearty salad very much: they ate it actively, got drunk less and, to the delight of the author, less often broke furniture in his establishments.
Most likely, this story is just an amusing fiction, which, however, cannot be denied ingenuity. In fact, the recipe for herring under a fur coat appeared in Soviet culinary literature only at the end of the sixties of the last century. Until that moment, nothing like this simply existed.
There is another version, according to which the famous dish became a creative rethinking of Norwegian salads with herring. Knowing that “a true Norwegian eats herring twenty-one times a week” is not so hard to believe.
Adapted to our realities and received an original, memorable name, the salad recipe has firmly established itself in domestic cuisines.
How to cook herring under a fur coat
“Herring under a fur coat” is a multi-layered salad. Its main ingredients are lightly salted herring, boiled beets, boiled carrots, boiled potatoes, onions and mayonnaise. Boiled eggs are often used for decoration.
- 300 g herring fillet
- 300 g beets
- 300 g potatoes
- 300 g carrots
- 150 g onions
- mayonnaise to taste
- salt, pepper and herbs to taste
- In the evening, separately boil potatoes, carrots and beets without salt.
- Let cool at room temperature and refrigerate. Beets separately, carrots and potatoes can be stored together.
- Butcher the herring, put it in a sealed glass dish and put it in the refrigerator.
- On the second day, peel the vegetables and finely grate them into separate plates.
- Chop the onion finely. Cut the herring fillet into small pieces.
- Salt each ingredient to taste, pepper with freshly ground pepper, season with mayonnaise and stir.
- Place all ingredients in layers on the bottom of a flat salad bowl. The classic sequence is as follows: herring, onion, potatoes, carrots, beets. If you want, you can change the order of layers, for example, put grated potatoes down, and then herring, onions, carrots and beets.
- Before serving, the dish should be infused for at least 3 hours.
- Delicious herring under a fur coat is ready. Enjoy your meal!