The annual digging of tulips in our middle lane is one of the important methods for caring for tulips after flowering.
- When babies form around the parent bulb, the mother bulb goes into the depths. As a caring mother, she gives her children the opportunity to grow. This is characteristic of both tulips and lilies, especially oriental ones. Therefore, it is recommended to dig up tulip bulbs annually, and lilies – in 2-3 years.
- Red tulips remain, because they are more durable. And varietal ones without annual digging can be crushed and completely disappear.
- It is best to dig up tulip bulbs in the second half of June – early July, when the leaves have begun to wither, but have not yet turned completely yellow. In this case, by the location of the leaves, you can easily determine the place of the bulbs and not lose them.
- It is necessary to dig out with a shovel, planting it deep into the ground. We even advise you to check the hole under the shovel so as not to lose the mother bulb. And tulip bulbs can deepen up to half a meter.
- It is recommended to store the dug bulbs together with the leaves in the attic of the cottage. It is quite hot and dry there in summer. Bulbs ripen and do not rot.
- In early September, all tulip bulbs are taken out. Inspect. Sick bulbs are thrown away. Treated in a solution of the drug “Maxim”. Sort and arrange according to the size of the bulbs.
- Tulips are planted in the same place. Large separately, medium separately, and small also separately. The following year, large bulbs will bloom and give birth to new babies. And small bulbs in 2 years will grow and begin to bloom