Boiled eggs are both an independent dish and an ingredient in soups, salads, sandwiches.
It would seem: there is no trick in boiling an egg. However, the degree of readiness is different: hard-boiled, soft-boiled, “in a bag”, poached eggs.
Some like to keep the yolk runny, others boil until cooked. The degree of doneness depends on the cooking time and the cooking method.
How to boil a hard boiled egg
An egg is considered hard-boiled if both the white and the yolk are hard as a result of cooking. In this way, eggs are boiled for salads, first courses, filling in pancakes and tartlets.
To properly cook a hard-boiled egg you need:
- pour cold water into a saucepan;
- put an egg in it, bring water to a boil;
- after 1 minute, reduce the heat and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
After the egg is boiled, you need to catch it with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a deep bowl with cold running water. An egg cooled in this way is easy to clean.
It is a mistake to think that an egg can be boiled for as long as you want (the main thing is that the water does not boil away). After 15 minutes, the protein will look like rubber, the yolk will lose its yellow color and will crumble a lot, but most importantly, the egg will become tasteless.
How to boil a soft-boiled egg
Soft-boiled eggs are so named because the yolk remains liquid when boiled, and the white is either very soft, almost “smudge”, or slightly set.
There are two ways to boil eggs:
- Place the egg in a pot of cold water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and wait 2 minutes (if you like thin protein) or 3 minutes (if you like thicker protein).
- Egg (always at room temperature!) Put in boiling water for 1 minute, then turn off the heat, cover the pan with a lid and leave for 5 minutes.
How to boil an egg “in a bag”
“Into a bag” – a method of cooking, when the outer shell of the yolk grasps and surrounds the internally liquid contents, the yolk seems to be in a bag – hence the name.
Dip the egg in a saucepan with cold water, put on high heat and bring the water to a boil. After boiling, cook for another 4 minutes, reducing the heat, then remove and transfer the eggs to cold running water.
How to boil poached eggs
Poached eggs are eggs that are cooked without shells in hot, but not boiling water. They can be cooked either directly in the pan, or using suitable tools – plastic bags, cling film, silicone molds or special cups.
To prepare a dish in this way, the egg must be carefully broken into a cup (so that the yolk does not spread) and poured into boiling water. If you use special dishes or cling film, then the protein will not creep over the saucepan in separate flakes.
Important: grease the film or mold with vegetable oil before use.
Secrets of boiling eggs: so that they do not burst and are easy to clean
Even in such a simple procedure as boiling eggs, there are secrets:
- so that the shell does not crack during cooking, you need to salt the water. Even with an existing crack, the protein will not leak out in a saturated saline solution. No witchcraft, the laws of physics and chemistry in action;
- will preserve the integrity of the shell and vinegar: 2 tbsp. l. for 1 liter of water;
- you do not need to cook 1-2 eggs in a large vessel, for this purpose it is convenient to keep a small saucepan in the household, in which the eggs will not “float”, hitting each other and against the walls of the container;
- if you carefully chop the egg from the blunt (more sloping) end, then during cooking the shell will remain intact and the contents will not leak out, there is an air bag on this side;
- you cannot dip cold eggs directly from the refrigerator into boiling water, you need to either collect cool water, or get them out in advance and leave them at room temperature.
- In order for the finished eggs to be easily and neatly cleaned, you need to transfer them from boiling water to a saucepan and put under a stream of cold water.
It has been noticed that homemade, very fresh eggs are more difficult to clean than stores.
To check the freshness of the product, you need to collect water in a deep bowl and lower the egg: the fresh one will lie on the bottom, the rotten one will float.