Making homemade cheese is a very interesting process. With only a few liters of milk and a couple of grams of rennet at your disposal, you can get quality hard cheese, without unnecessary water, preservatives and store mark-ups!
Some even have a hobby: making simple homemade cheese. With each new batch, the quality of taste and texture increases, the cooking time changes, and the cheese-maker’s hand grows. What is this if not a kind of culinary art? Try to make cheese with us and you will see how interesting it is!
- 0.4 g rennet
- 12 l milk
- 3 tablespoons of salt
- 200 g sour cream
- Take good, fresh milk and heat it to 35 degrees. Then add sour cream to it and stir for 1 minute.
- Dissolve the rennet in half a glass of cool boiled water. Use about a fifth of the bag. If more – that’s okay. Pour in
- In an hour or two, the milk should curdle. It looks like a dense foam.
- Using a knife, cut the dense mass into 3 cm squares. Try to do this carefully. Do not touch the future cheese for 20 minutes, until the whey begins to separate.
- Place the pot in hot water and stir the contents. Continue until the temperature rises to 40-42 degrees. This process is long, it can take 30-50 minutes. During this time, you will see the curd shrink and thicken.
- This is how it looks in an hour. The cheese will settle to the bottom of the container. Try it, if it grinds a little on your teeth, it means that it is ready.
- Drain the whey through a colander. Salt the cheese. Place it in a mold, such as a large plastic bucket. Press down on top with a load and leave for 2 hours.
- Wipe the finished cheese dry, put it on a clean dry cloth and send it to the refrigerator to ripen, for at least 3 weeks. Flip it over every 2–3 days and change the fabric to dry and clean. The cheese will turn yellow and overgrown with a crust, acquire sharpness, holes and the correct texture. The output weight will be somewhere up to 1.5 kg.
- Now you know how to make homemade cheese step by step. But that’s not all. If you add your favorite spices to it during cooking, it will only improve its taste! Basil, oregano, cumin, dill seeds, and thyme work well.
In addition, making cheese at home is a great excuse to show your child how you can make a delicious treat and at the same time teach him patience: after all, a few weeks of ripening will only increase children’s curiosity. We hope you liked our recipe and you will still cook more than one kilogram of cheese, perhaps even with different fillings.