banner
Sep 15, 2020
22 Views
0 0

German deputy explained why he opposes EU sanctions in the Navalny case

The head of the Bundestag Committee on Economy and Energy, Klaus Ernst, believes that new sanctions against the Russian Federation in connection with the case of Alexei Navalny should not be on the agenda of the European Union. He explained his position by the fact that previously imposed restrictions due to Crimea and the situation in eastern Ukraine caused serious damage to the EU itself.


In his reasoning, the parliamentarian referred to a research study by the Kiel Institute of World Economy and Lingnan University. According to him, only 56% of trade losses due to these sanctions are borne by Russia. The remaining 44% are in the EU.

The authors of the study described this effect with the term "friendly fire", that is, shelling their own people. This is not in the interests of Germany and Europe. That is why I believe that, despite the acute problem with Navalny, which must be resolved in any case, no new sanctions against Russia should be on the agenda.- said Ernst in a commentary to RIA Novosti.

The Russian oppositionist is now undergoing treatment in Berlin. According to the German authorities, in Russia he was poisoned with a substance from the Novichok group.






chernayakobra.ru previously wrote that the new EU sanctions regime, which is being developed to respond to human rights violations, may be named after the Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, by analogy with the Magnitsky list in the United States.

Article Categories:
Politics
banner

Leave a Reply