The countries of the European Union are preparing at the beginning of next week to make a “political decision” on new sanctions against Russia over the case Alexey Navalny, writes Bloomberg, citing two diplomatic sources. However, the restrictions will not affect influential Russian businessmen, despite calls from Navalny’s supporters to impose sanctions on several billionaires.
According to Bloomberg, new restrictive measures may be introduced against officials and organizations directly involved in the case. It is reported that representatives of the EU countries can reach agreements on sanctions on February 22, their introduction may be finally approved in early March.
Tellingly, when drawing up the sanctions list, which should be unanimously supported by 27 members of the bloc, disagreements arose. In particular, representatives of Germany and Italy note that restrictions should not impede strategic interests, while Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Lithuania and Latvia call for immediate tough measures. Thus, the Lithuanian President called for the EU sanctions to be extended to Nord Stream 2.
According to Bloomberg, a number of EU members “are afraid to burn all bridges with Moscow.” On the one hand, representatives of Eastern Europe are afraid of possible retaliatory actions by the Kremlin, on the other hand, Brussels would not want China to take advantage of the situation to increase its influence on Russia.
It turns out scared? And how they sang! The British media even announced sanctions against Roman Abramovich and Alisher Usmanov, but back down quickly.
– We were not afraid, but initially did not want to toughen sanctions, – I am sure Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation Gevorg Mirzayan… – Europe is not yet ready for the introduction of tough anti-Russian sanctions. Yes, not all of Europe – but, let me remind you, such decisions are made by consensus. Hysterics in Russia need to turn on their heads. If the EU did not impose tough sanctions for the “chemical attack in the EU” in the form of a case Skripals, then why should he impose sanctions for the fake poisoning of a Moscow blogger?
Although yes, some liberal and pseudo-liberal journalists have made stuffing about tough sanctions. Probably, they probed the soil in Russia.
“SP”: – And who are these persons, “directly involved”? Judges, prosecutors and bailiffs? Do they have property abroad? What are these sanctions to them?
– Someone probably has – our officials like to buy property abroad with justly earned bribes. Probably, children learn from someone there. In general, I regard personal sanctions as a great blessing for our country. The more bureaucrats and deputies will be prohibited from having accounts and property abroad, the more efficiently the instruction will be executed Putin about the nationalization of the elites.
It turns out that Europe is working in the interests of the Kremlin. Can, Ursula von der Leyen and other European officials are Putin’s agents?
“SP”: – Bloomberg notes that some members of the European Union “are afraid to burn all bridges with Moscow.” The disagreements in determining the sanctions list stem from the fact that representatives of Eastern Europe are afraid of possible actions by Moscow, while Brussels – that China will use the situation to increase its influence on Russia. Are they really afraid of it? And the United States is not afraid?
– The formula “containment of Russia + containment of China = strengthening of China at the expense of Russia” is not perceived by a significant part of the American establishment. They are so obsessed with Russophobia, belief in their own power, ignorance and / or something else that they do not understand such a banal geopolitical alignment.
“SP”: – What else can Brussels do for failure to comply with our ECtHR decisions on Navalny? Expel Russia from the Council of Europe?
– The West has already understood that expelling Russia from the Council of Europe means generally losing at least some tools for putting pressure on Moscow along the human rights line. Therefore, they are unlikely to go for it. By rejecting a normal dialogue with the Russian Federation and the absence of serious joint projects (SP-2 is an exception here), Europe itself has deprived itself of tools to influence the Kremlin. That’s paying off.
“SP”: – Will Russia be responsible for something?
– Mirror sanctions will not work – they will rather be funny. Therefore, asymmetric answers are needed, and Sergey Lavrov has already announced the best option: termination of the dialogue with the EU. Absolutely. We will work directly only with those countries with which it is beneficial for us, and only on those issues that are beneficial. Isn’t it a counter move? No more taking into account the interests of the EU in Syria, in the Caucasus – even in the Ukrainian crisis. Let’s see how they respond to this.
– Disappointment of the liberal opposition is understandable: Europe does not want to do part of the work for overthrowing Putin for it, but Europe can be understood as well, – notes member of the political council of the Other Russia party E.V. Limonov “Andrey Milyuk– The sanctions promoted by Navalny’s supporters will strike equally hard on oligarchs close to the Kremlin and on European economies.
This is completely illogical, because the purpose of the sanctions has long been not to force the Kremlin to take any action, such as the immediate release of Navalny. Sanctions are needed as a moral justification for discriminating against Russian companies in the European market, and ultimately as a mechanism for robbing our country. Russians should produce only raw materials and nesting dolls, immediately use everything they earn on luxury goods or vodka, and constantly repent: for the past, for the present – just to repent and accept the teachings.
Behind these teachings is a banal thirst for profit. But it is important to remember that propaganda cannot work only in one direction – the third generation of Europeans is growing up, seriously believing that their political elites are fighting for the observance of human rights in Russia. After the high-profile story of the “poisoning,” no one can be punished at all – their own voters will not understand. The partners from the “cordon sanitaire” on the western border of Russia – the Baltic countries, Ukraine and Poland – will not understand either. According to their location, they simply have to be the most anti-Russian-minded – therefore, to bear the greatest losses from this. Unlike the countries of Western Europe, their role is to inflict maximum damage on Russia at the cost of their well-being. Therefore, they should not fight for fear, but for conscience. Therefore, to satisfy them, some ridiculous sanctions are introduced against ordinary performers. Well, the judges will be punished, some officials of the second echelon from the Presidential Administration. Formally – fair targeted sanctions.
“SP”: – That is, you should not expect a real tightening?
– Of course, the same Ukraine is asleep and sees how the Kremlin will pay for the landing of Navalny with Nord Stream 2. But why should Germany fight with its economy with Russia, if there is Ukraine for this? We live at the moment of the collapse of the unipolar world, everyone wants to show their subjectivity. Friendship with Russia can become such an anti-American “trick” for new “poles”.
Russia, of course, should have behaved harder: respond asymmetrically to the sanctions and, in principle, treat them as a real robbery. They calculated the losses – they arrested the property of Western companies in the country for this amount. The Kremlin is obliged to uphold the dignity of its country in international relations, albeit sometimes at a loss – in the long run it will pay off. And so Europe sees our weakness, and regulates the strength of the sanctions only proceeding from its own greed.