My mother’s friend, Aunt Valya, married a Bulgarian two years ago. And so, this summer my mother and I were lucky enough to visit her in Burgas. We had a great rest in Sunny Beach, swam in the Black Sea, inspired by the beauty of Nessebar.
And we also tasted national dishes of the Bulgarian cuisine, and not from local cafes, but homemade ones, prepared by Tsvetan, the husband of my mother’s friend. Most of all I was conquered by the sauce “Lyutenica”. This is just something delicious! It can be eaten with your favorite dish and even as a spread on bread.
When my husband tried shish kebab with this sauce, he said that he had never eaten anything tastier! Indeed, with such a combination of ingredients as eggplant, red bell pepper, tomato and chili, it could not be otherwise!
And today we will tell you how to make the Bulgarian Luthenitsa sauce. Be sure to spin a few jars of this delicious sauce, and the summer aromas will delight you even in the cold season!
- 0.5 kg eggplant
- 1 kg of red bell pepper
- 1 chili pepper
- 0.5 kg of tomatoes
- 2 tooth. garlic
- 45 g sugar
- 30 g vegetable oil
- greens to taste
- To make “Lyutenitsa” tasty and aromatic, peppers, eggplants and tomatoes must be baked. Many recipes suggest boiling vegetables, but this method loses all the zest of this snack.
- There are many ways to bake vegetables. Of course, it is better to use an open fire or the heat from burning coals on the grill. However, the easiest way is to bake vegetables in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Peel the vegetables, then grind them in a blender along with the herbs and chili. You can also do this by hand, then the consistency of the sauce will be thicker.
- Put the mass on the fire and cook until the volume is halved.
- Add other vegetables, chili, salt and sugar to the tomatoes. Cook, stirring constantly.
- The sauce is ready when the liquid stops flowing. You can check this if you put a little sauce on a plate: if there is no water, then you can remove it from the stove.
- Add oil, salt, pepper and chopped garlic at the end of cooking.
- Spread the boiling mass in jars and leave to cool.
- If you want to prepare the sauce for the winter, then the filled jars must be sterilized for 10 minutes, then rolled up tightly.