banner
May 3, 2021
0 Views
0 0

Children’s toys: where is the danger?

Children’s toys: where is the danger?

Often, children get a lot of injuries from innocent and seemingly harmless toys, so grandmothers and mothers, who are most often busy with babies, should always remember about precautions.

Doctors once again remind in which children’s entertainment lies the greatest danger for kids.

Modern children are surrounded by an incredible number of toys, among which you can often meet cunning and dangerous enemies – plastic, rubber and metal. The brighter and more varied the funny objects, the better the baby’s attention, memory and imagination. On the other hand, these same toys can slowly but surely undermine his health. First of all, these are all kinds of pistols with bullets, gel balls, magnetic constructors … They perfectly develop thinking and motor skills, but their small parts are also perfectly swallowed.

MAGNETIC AND GEL BALLS – A THREAT TO LIFE

If a child tastes an ordinary tiny object, the digestive tract will not suffer – the small part will naturally leave the body, but it is not so easy to get rid of small magnetic elements. Once in the esophagus, the magnets are attracted to each other and can turn into conglomerates of impressive size and are unlikely to come out on their own.

– Magnetic balls find each other in the intestine and can cause intestinal perforation with the development of inflammation and peritonitis. Small screws, pen caps, jewelry, keys to mailboxes, which mechanically affect the esophagus and the walls of the gastrointestinal tract, are of great danger, they are also dangerous because, once in the bronchi, they can cause respiratory arrest, – warns the chief pediatrician Moscow, head physician of the Children’s Hospital. PER. Bashlyaeva Ismail Osmanov.

According to the professor, the parent’s gaze should always be fixed on the child, wherever he is in the house, because, it is not even an hour, he can pull into his mouth not only magnets and other metal trifles, but also insidious gel balls, which are often poured into toys.

– Once in the body, – explains the pediatrician, – they swell, increase hundreds of times and cause intestinal obstruction. Often these children develop life-threatening critical conditions that require urgent surgery. The situation is complicated by the fact that the gel beads are not visible either on ultrasound or during X-ray examination, but you need to be able to catch them.

To avoid negative consequences, you should not buy magnetic constructors for children who are under three years old. Despite the usefulness of such entertainment, acquaintance with them should be postponed until the moment when the child stops pulling objects into his mouth for research.

DO YOU HAVE A PUNGENT SMELL? TO CLEAN!

Another danger is represented by rubber toys – ducks and other funny animals. Malicious rubber characters (especially if they are made in China) have a strong chemical scent, toxic colors, and unstable dyes.

Even arsenic, lead and mercury compounds, as well as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), can be part of low-quality rubber animals. The latter is not dangerous only if cheap phenol, formaldehyde or phthalate were not used in its manufacture, which give the toy elasticity and softness.

Usually, harmful toxic substances are released if a toy made of low-quality PVC is immersed in hot water. And if unstable dyes were used in the manufacture of toys, young children who like to taste everything just need to lick a bright object and the poisonous substance will begin to have a harmful effect on the endocrine, nervous and immune systems. Phthalate can also trigger the development of asthma and cancer.

Smell the toy before giving it to your child. If you feel a pungent smell – send it to the trash heap without regret. The stronger the smell from the toy, the more phenol it contains – a harmful substance that enters the child’s body through the skin, lungs and gastrointestinal tract and causes allergies, kidney and liver damage, irritation of the respiratory tract, oral mucosa and nasopharynx.

Unscrupulous manufacturers often add carcinogenic formaldehyde to teethers, the baby can receive a dose of toxic substances that do not promise anything good to the growing body.

Symptoms of formaldehyde poisoning: lacrimation, runny nose, cough, weakness, pain and burning sensation in the digestive tract, vomiting of blood, redness of the skin.

No less danger awaits children who have stepped over an unconscious young age. Even older guys who experiment with special kits are not always safe. For example, in the kit of a young detective was found powder for fingerprinting, containing one of the most dangerous types of asbestos. Its dust is capable of provoking the development of lung cancer even after a single contact.

Tips “MN”

  • If paint remains on your hands when in contact with a toy, it is better to get rid of it or not buy it.
  • Do not buy products with very bright, neon and acidic colors: they may contain heavy metals and other dangerous additives.
  • A quality toy will not have a pungent or unpleasant chemical odor, only a toxic one has such an aroma.
  • Do not be lazy to read the markings on the packaging or on the toy itself (it should be in Russian, readable and not washed off). Look for the Gosstandart (PCT) badge, under it there are 2 numbers and 2 letters. They say that the toy has been tested in special laboratories.
  • If the composition of the toy indicated on the package contains PVC, it must have a triangle sign with the number 3 in the center, the words PVC or VINIL. If PVC is absent in the composition, the manufacturer writes PVC free – “does not contain PVC”, BPA free – “does not contain BPA” (bisphenol A – a compound from the group of phenols) or Chlorine free label – “free from chlorine”.
  • Look for CE marked toys. The marking indicates that the product complies with European safety standards.
  • Avoid shopping at crossings, kiosks, stalls, markets, etc.

Elena Khakimova.

Photo: ADOBESTOCK.

Article Categories:
Health
banner

Leave a Reply