Everyone experiences stress from time to time. While some of us handle stress very well, there are others who are overwhelmed by it. When a person is stressed, they tend to overeat cakes, ice cream and chips, these foods are known as comfort foods because people believe they reduce the effects of stress.
These products may work to lift your spirits, but the feeling only lasts a few hours and the tension builds up again. They are also bad for your health; Think about the amount of bad calories when you overeat unhealthy foods when stressed.
The good news is that there are foods that you can eat to effectively deal with stress, and here they are:
- Avocado. These super fruits are high in lutein, glutathione, vitamin E and beta-carotene, which protect the body from the negative effects of stress. We recommend that you eat avocados in small portions, that is, add pieces to salads, as they contain fat.
- Sweet potato. These root vegetables contain many nutrients such as carotenoids and fiber. The glycemic index of sweet potatoes is low, so blood sugar levels remain normal.
- Cashew nuts. These nuts have the right combination of fats and proteins, making them ideal for the weight loss process. They also have a high zinc content, which protects you from anxiety and depression.
- Chamomile tea. If you want a calm state of mind, then you should brew chamomile tea. Drinking this tea before bed will give you a good restful sleep, it is good for your mind as sleep is an effective way to deal with stress.
- Wine. We couldn’t finish this list without including wine. The alcohol content of wine acts as an antidepressant to give you a relaxed state of mind. Wine also contains some antioxidants that promote heart health. Do not take more than a glass of wine every day.
Choosing the right nutrition for stress is critical to your health. By eating unhealthy stress relief foods, you are adding sugar and fat to your body, and this contributes to weight gain. Stick to these foods to effectively fight stress while staying healthy.