The demand for IT specialists is changing, and the usual programmers are being replaced by new ones – No-code developers. Nookders can replace a whole team of expensive specialists and create applications no worse than developers, and earn the same amount.
Anna Radzievskayafounder and CPO of the No-code training school, was the first to start teaching a new profession and formed the market for No-code development in Russia. About who No-code specialists are, how they differ from classical developers, and how Anna managed to develop a whole new market and influence the industry, the founder of Code Breakers told Free Press.
“SP”: – Tell us who are nocode developers and how do they differ from classical ones?
– No-code developer (abbr. noukoder) – a specialist who can find solutions to business problems and implement them without using development.
A nocoder can have a certain specialization, for example, be only a web or mobile developer, or it can own various No-code tools and implement various types of products on a turnkey basis using a mix of No-code tools: web and mobile applications, chat bots, automation and integration, AI, etc.
The main difference between No-code and classical developers is that in order to develop any IT product according to the classics, a team is needed: product, designer, front- and back-end developers, tester, analyst
In the development of products on No-code, one nocoder can independently develop the entire product and replace the entire team, while the cost and time for development will be 5-10 times lower. This is possible due to the relative simplicity and low entry threshold of No-code platforms, unlike programming languages. It is precisely due to the fact that nocoders can independently create a whole product, they must have broader skills in related areas, while developers have a narrower specialization and skills, because they work only with a separate part of the product (for example, front-end or back-end -end).
“SP”: – You are the first who started teaching this profession and popularizing the topic of No-code in Russia, how difficult was it to do it on the classical market and why no one has occupied this niche before you, because it is obvious that it is promising?
– When creating a new market, it is always very important to get to the “right time”, just in 2020, faced with a pandemic, I realized that the old and expensive methods no longer work, everyone needs to go online and do it here and now. And only No-code could help with such a request.
Then we were just starting and in Russia no one knew about No-code, there were separate tools, such as Tilda, Albato on the market, which were owned by some specialists, but the No-code approach and development methodology did not exist, and moreover, no one taught it how professions.
In order to get the no-code theme going in Russia, I first of all hosted a lot of events and tutorials that allowed people to learn about and try out this kind of development. One of such large-scale events was the First No-code conference in Russia organized by me, where I invited the top speakers and founders of No-code platforms in the world: Bubble, Glide, Adalo, etc. I was also invited to many major events and courses: Phystech , HSEinc, ProductStart, Product Camp, Product University, EpicGrowth, etc. This helped a lot to inform people and, in fact, create a No-code market in Russia.
In addition, the demand for remote professions began to grow strongly, and with the events of 2022, this even intensified, because many relocated. This is how the demand for quickly monetized skills, work for yourself and remotely, has grown, and this is exactly what the profession of a nocoder fully meets, because you can work for yourself from anywhere in the world and not depend on the team, as in classical development.
Major players are only now beginning to enter this market, because they did not have the competencies and strong speakers in this area. Also, the fact that now nocode is significantly eating away the market from other IT professions, they also begin to worry, and they begin to look in this direction.
“SP”: – You train a new profession in the shortest possible time – in 2-3 months, and people who have not previously had any relation to IT. How do you do it? Is it a special technique?
— At the very beginning, when I founded Code Breakers, I developed a unique methodology for creating IT products without code, which describes the entire process of developing turnkey products: from idea to launch. It formed the basis of our education and training of No-code developers, who, without experience in IT, master all the necessary skills and No-code tools in courses in order to start fulfilling the first orders in 3 months. The main principles of training that give such a result:
– in the courses we take examples of real projects that we use in life, for example, students create an analogue of Airbnb, Amazon, Avito, Yandex. Shops and other well-known services, the types of which are often ordered by customers
– students go through all stages of product creation in accordance with my methodology: development of technical specifications, allocation of MVP, selection of a stack of tools, creation of product technical specifications, databases, front-end and back-end development, testing and launch. That is, as a result, they receive a complex skill that they apply immediately after training on real projects.
— we provide technical, product and business knowledge and skills to a sufficient extent so that they are enough for nocode development, but we do not overload with unnecessary details that are not needed
– we teach a different stack of tools that allows you to develop all types of products: websites, web and mobile applications, automation and integration, chat bots and even the use of AI
– during the training, the student collects a finished portfolio of 3-10 projects in accordance with the program, and he can immediately go out with examples of work to customers
— We also created a career center where we prepare nocoders for the realities of the market, teach how to work with clients, where to look for them, and also help with finding orders.
Our training is 8 times faster than training for a developer (3 months instead of 2 years), while a person starts earning already in 3 months.
“SP”: – What is your background and how did you come to do No-code?
— My previous experience played a huge role in the success of Code Breakers, because I myself went through various stages of working with a product in different roles: I worked as a product manager for hire, managed complex products as a CPO, launched startups, developed as a freelancer, did consulting.
In Yandex. Taxi and Qlean, where I worked on projects from the driver’s and cleaner’s side, I clearly realized the problem of working with classical development: a huge number of tasks in the backlog and a very low implementation speed, the impossibility of launching anything without developers, expensive resources and the difficulty of hiring them. Even then, I tried to do some product tasks without code, bypassing the development department, in order to speed up hypothesis testing.
At Blizkie, I was CPO and was responsible for the development of the marketplace, as well as the launch of a business vertical – e-commerce for equipment. There, as usual in startups, there were not many resources for developers, so I had to be creative and come up with solutions on No-code, so I started to implement full-fledged products without code in order to reduce resources.
Then I started a startup career and launched many projects: in the field of HR and mass recruitment, as well as a school of spoken English. In these projects, I was the founder and CPO, and did the development from scratch of very complex products: websites, web applications with a marketplace business model, automation, etc. This experience gave me the skills to launch projects from scratch, build marketing, unit economics , positioning and product sales. At the same time, I was convinced by my examples that everything can be done without development at all.
I also developed No-code projects on freelance, where I encountered the peculiarities of working with customers and formed an approach to developing any products on No-code.
At Code Breakers, I applied my product and business knowledge to create a unique methodology on the basis of which I built the training. The effectiveness of such training can be seen in the thousands of our students who have become No-code developers and launched their own projects.
In addition to being the founder of Code Breakers, I have always played the role of CPO, at the beginning I even developed all our platforms on my own: LMS, automation, internal processes, and having gone this way, I can say for sure using our example what exactly can be built a company of our size and do it completely on No-code.
“SP”: – Does the development of the nocode market mean that programmers have serious competition?
– I believe that No-code first of all created a new market for more accessible and faster development, thereby being able to cover requests that were unprofitable for traditional developers, but at the same time it began to “eat off” the classical development market. In particular, this trend can be seen in the development of business tasks. For example, take the development of websites and landing pages: 10 years ago, only a front-end developer could solve this problem and it was quite expensive. Now 90% of cases with such a task go to No-code specialists or designers who work with Tilda, ReadyMag, Wix and other tools. That is, the site development market has already been eaten away by nocoders from developers, and it will continue to be so: with mobile and web applications, bots, automation, and other products.
But it is important to understand that we are not against developers, on the contrary, they are the ones who created No-code, so in the future there will be a division: simpler and more typical business tasks will go to No-code and be performed by business departments, while complex infrastructure tasks, high-tech products will continue to be developed by classical developers.
“SP”: – You spoke at the 1st Sber technology conference in 2021, which was for developers. Do Sber developers really need nocode?
– SmartDev – was the first Sber technology conference in 180 years, which brought together top development specialists in Russia. The fact that there were reports on No-code at this conference is a very good indicator that even such large companies are already adapting No-code and even developing their own platforms. It was a very interesting experience for me to discuss with developers about the use of No-code and Low-code in corporations, as well as to speak with my development methodology and reveal all the advantages of this method.
In addition, I was invited to other major developer events, as a jury member of the DevHack hackathon, where the guys developed solutions for corporations. I am also a member of accelerators like IIDF, Strtech, where I also help guys with the development of products on No-code and advise on launch issues.
“SP”: – What will the site or application of the future look like, and how will it be created? (prediction-fantasy)
– Now in development, and in other areas, we see a trend towards simplification, i.e. complex and expensive to make simple and accessible. It can also be called a disruption, just as Uber once made the taxi market cheap and simple, and No-code makes the development market accessible to everyone. I believe that No-code will soon be like knowing excel, i.e. such a necessary skill for everyone in today’s world.
It is important to understand that No-code is not something that has appeared only now, the first constructors without code were back in the late 90s, like WordPress, Shopify. Over the years, the platforms have evolved a lot, and today you can create very powerful applications without code, there will be even more growth in the future, this can be seen from the transactions that take place in the nocode market. It is possible that after some time we will reach the point where we will create applications using voice development mixed with artificial intelligence. The main thing is to be open and try new things.