The methods of preventing coronavirus infection are of concern to everyone today, since people are afraid of serious complications and know that it is impossible to predict how the body will react to the introduction of such an agent.
Today, among the standard measures for the prevention of COVID-19 are the wearing and timely change of masks and gloves (the so-called PPE), the use of sanitizers, social distancing, strengthening the immune system and frequent hand washing.
However, doctors say that there are a number of additional nuances in terms of prevention that will provide even more reliable protection against infection. AiF.ru told about what exactly needs to be considered and what measures can complement preventive measures against COVID-19 director of a therapeutic clinic and head of the department of therapy, clinical pharmacology and emergency medical care, Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry. A. I. Evdokimova, Professor, Honored Scientist of the Russian Federation, Head of the Educational Organization for Doctors of the RPO "Outpatient Doctor" Arkady Vertkin...
The doctor notes that the methods of prevention that are offered today are good and usually work for any seasonal ARVI. But, as practice has shown, additional methods can be connected to make protection against infection more effective.
“In April-June, we performed autopsies on patients who died with confirmed coronavirus infection. And on the basis of hundreds of autopsies, it became clear that patients with advanced chronic diseases died most often. So, among 2,000 deaths from coronavirus and pneumonia, 1,180 patients had hypertension, 438 - diabetes mellitus, 385 - obesity, ”says Professor Vertkin. In addition, he emphasizes that, according to foreign studies, the most common comorbidities are arterial hypertension and diabetes mellitus. And it is they who have not the last impact on the development of the main complication of coronavirus: pneumonia.
“Many people think that pneumonia is such a separate disease. In fact, in the overwhelming majority of cases, pneumonia acts as a consequence of diseases of the cardiovascular system, oncology, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and various immunodeficiency diseases. This was the case before the appearance of the new coronavirus infection and continued after. During the pandemic, the connection between severe pneumonia and systemic diseases became more noticeable, ”notes Arkady Vertkin.
Also, COVID-19 can become a catalyst for activating various pathological processes in the body. The virus can lead to liver and kidney failure, ischemic brain damage, thrombosis, embolism, hyperglycemia, often turning into type 2 diabetes, etc. “The virus can penetrate the protective barrier of the brain and cause the development of specific viral meningitis in some patients and encephalitis. And this is not just some private research of some doctors. This is serious work that we have done together with Chief Pathologist of the Ministry of Health Oleg Zaratyants", - says Professor Vertkin.
This means that it is worth paying attention to additional prevention options that will provide even more reliable protection. So what else can you use along with masks and antiseptics?
1. If you are aware of your chronic conditions, do not stop treatment.... We are talking primarily about the following diseases: arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus, heart failure, atrial fibrillation, bronchospastic changes, etc.
A common story: an experienced hypertensive person drinks pills only if he has high blood pressure. And if everything is normal, then he misses the reception. Although these drugs need to be drunk regularly, regardless of the readings of the tonometer.
2. Study heredity and assess your risks of chronic disease with your doctor.
3. Take simple studieswhile hospitals are open for routine appointments. Check the level of glucose, lipoproteins, creatinine, bilirubin, perform a complete blood count. Check the work of the cardiovascular system, for this you need to do an electrocardiogram. These are elementary surveys. If you identify a problem and begin treatment, it can save you from severe forms of coronavirus.
4. In older people there are already violations of the vascular system, there is oxygen starvation and functional disorders of organs. Therefore, it is recommended to take the so-called metabolism correctors and antihypoxic drugs.
five. Do not drink or smoke... Alcohol and nicotine kill the immune system.
6. Vaccination... Against influenza and pneumonia, especially for patients at risk: the elderly, with COPD, cardiovascular diseases.